Woodhall Lane Mystery Stone.

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Hang on a minute, you're not. Now I've read you message header properly!!!UH
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

Uno Hoo wrote: Hey, SiHow do you manage to be 2 hours ahead of me?UH I dunno. Maybe you're the new Doctor Hoo!

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Si,I hardly dare report this, but Ted Garnett doesn't know anything about the stone, and in fact, has never seen it. He says that as a result of my father's enquiry he'll go and have a look.Dad's got someone else in mind to ask, so I'll let you know any progress.In fairness, I've passed it many times myself, on foot, bicycle, bus and car, and never noticed it until you raised this thread. Fascinating!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks for asking, Uno. I wonder what Mr Garnett will think of it?

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Success at last!!!! (???)My father asked another local historian, who claimed to be well aware of the stone and its origins.According to her, the stone is nothing more than the remains of a mounting block for horseriders, so if this is the case it may solve the mystery, but it's a bit prosaic. Maybe I'm too much of a romantic, but I was really hoping we were on to something really historic here.However, well spotted, Si. You took note of something which others, including myself, had taken for granted to the point of not even seeing it.

Si

Post by Si »

Uno Hoo wrote: Success at last!!!! (???)My father asked another local historian, who claimed to be well aware of the stone and its origins.According to her, the stone is nothing more than the remains of a mounting block for horseriders, so if this is the case it may solve the mystery, but it's a bit prosaic. Maybe I'm too much of a romantic, but I was really hoping we were on to something really historic here.However, well spotted, Si. You took note of something which others, including myself, had taken for granted to the point of not even seeing it. Thanks Uno, but is she sure? I used to think it was possibly a mounting block, but I still have reservations!The stone in the pavement isn't high enough, even though it is nearly half buried in the tarmac. Most mounting blocks have three steps and are at least three times as high. A block like this may have been there originally, and has been lost, so a poor replacement put in it's place (our "mystery stone." This stone, I would say, was made for an entirely different purpose, going by the carvings on it.)Also, why would anyone go to all the trouble of digging out the field, and lining it with well cut masonary? Most mounting blocks are free-standing (and closer to the kerb,) so the side walls would be rather inconvenient when swinging your leg over the horse's back. Of course, I'm no expert and could be miles out!What do you think?    

simonm

Post by simonm »

it does seem a lot of trouble to wall round it if it is a mounting block. It would be nice to find out if it really is a mounting block though.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

The field is 4 or 5 feet higher than the pavement too, so a ton or so of soil would have had to be removed. Why didn't they just put a set of stone steps by the kerb, like other mounting blocks (such as Otley Old Road, Cookridge?)

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I still go by my suspicion of a well. as shown on the OS maps . A mounting block usually has steps and none I have seen have a cut out bit as shown in the photos and now obscured by the tarmac.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Si

Post by Si »

Whatever this feature is, a well-head/spring or mounting-block, I'm sure the actual stone was not made for this purpose and had a previous use. Pure conjecture, I know, but have a look at the scribble above. The "mystery stone" could have been the top stone of an ornamental gatepost. This explains all the carved features on it: the circle retains the base of a finial or ball, the groove helps hold the stones together, and the chamfered edge is the corner. Perhaps it came from Mr Peckover's mansion?OK - shoot me down in flames!!!    
Attachments
__TFMF_mf03xvfytxin2145zx0yvb55_03734738-1012-4666-adb3-32b89aa8bcee_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_mf03xvfytxin2145zx0yvb55_03734738-1012-4666-adb3-32b89aa8bcee_0_main.jpg (136.61 KiB) Viewed 3266 times