The Yorkshire House to House Electricity Co.

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

chemimike wrote: I see now. i was trying to put on the link marked direct link, and have now put on one marked im and email. I'm sure the other has worked before. Anyway that was the picture of the power station i was trying to post     

PeterCov

Re: The Yorkshire House to House Electricity Co.

Post by PeterCov »

While walking through Coventry this morning I found this in Cuckoo Lane near the Cathedral. It is a cobbled street that has largely escaped the 20th century developments which most of the rest of the city has seen.

I am at a loss to explain how this found its way hear from Leeds!

Coventry's first power station opened in 1895 and was owned by the council.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.40829 ... 312!8i6656

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Hi Peter,
Good find. I can't explain it either.
In the early posts on this thread I mentioned my family connection to YHH. My great grandfather worked as a foreman cable jointer on the early electrification of several European cities London, Dublin , Madrid. In 1894 he moved his whole family from the East end to Leeds when he was recruited by YHH to wire up Leeds.
Just a couple of ideas:
Coventry and Leeds were electrified at the same time. Maybe Coventry used the same foundry to supply its manhole covers.
YHH didn't trade for long under that name so maybe some of their branded hardware got sold off to other companies.
Guess we'll never know for sure.
Thanks for posting the pic.
John
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

PeterCov

Post by PeterCov »

Thanks John,

I've just had this reply on a Coventry forum

"In 1893 a committee from Coventry visited Leeds to look at a station supplied by Messrs John Fowler of Leeds for the Yorkshire House to House Electric Company. Later Messrs John Fowler were contracted to supply equipment for the electric lighting station and mains in Coventry. The works were erected in Sandy Lane. Most likely they utilised covers left over from Leeds."

So it looks like we got your leftovers!