Guinness Clock - Corn Exchange

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
slw

Post by slw »

Trojan wrote: Chrism wrote: Close! The bus half shown on the right is a West Riding central entrance AEC, the clock was immediately above where that bus is now. Hi Trojan, just to make sure I am in the right place was it where the mural is now on this pic ?http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... fier=10066

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Aye thats the place!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Brandy wrote: Getting closer Yes yes - as they used to say in "The Golden Shot" - "UP A BIT, RIGHT A BIT" !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

I'd spotted the rear half of the bus on the right hand side of the picture that looks up Vicar Lane away from the Guinness clock itself, and identified it as one of the famous centre-entrance AECs. I had wondered what it was doing there, but Blakey, as always, knows the answer. Another little piece slots into the historical jigsaw.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

[quotenick="SPARTACUS"]I always remember the Guiness Clock at the Corn Exchange. Used to meet the missus there regularly. So did everyone else it seemed !Quite a popular lass, your missus, then?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

At last I've found a picture of the clock from 1955 - a very poor picture unfortunately but it gives the idea.Now if only I can post pictures I'll put it on - Trojan has tried to help buut there's something wrong at this end - ME probably
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

At last I've managed to find a picture of the clock from 1955 - its a poor picture unfortunately but does show the location and size of the feature.Will try to post it now, but there's summat wrong at this end - me PROBABLY and despite Trojan's kind advice I still just get a click in the speakers when I click "browse" - no pictures to choose from - bt here goes again just for now.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Aarrgghh! How frustrating!

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

The Guiness Clock allso had a mural around it think i stated Tucans in there nests agree Guiness is good for you cant remember next bit but ended and you will see what one or two can do.I remember a picture of a tucan in bright yellow black and orange.I had forgotten that the trams cut through under it untill i saw the pictures from Leodis the mind plays funny tricks.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

It was an enormous display - very impressive - and occupied more than 50% of the gable end of the buildings.If someone can kindly suggest how I can post it I will do it straight away Trojan has kindly offered an explanation of what's wrong but to no avail yet. I've scanned it already and saved it as normal in My Pictures.