St Mary's Hospital - Armley

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

My brother was born there 1954 I remember going to collect him brining him home in the washing basket none of these fancy carrying cots they have nowadays Mum still going stong she will be 90 this year and still complains about old folk not getting a move on
life is not a dress rehearsal

ann mcleod

Post by ann mcleod »

what is st marys now its not maternity
a mcleod

jim

Post by jim »

Mental health and disability resource units Ann.

starcris

Re: St Mary's Hospital - Armley

Post by starcris »

My great grandfather died at no.3 Greenhill Road, Armley in 1933, he was just 69 years old and I was wondering if he was also buried in the cemetery close by Armley Hill Top, I use to have burial records but don't seem to be able to use the discs on my computer now. Can anyone help me find a grave possibly for Stephen Durham and maybe even for my gt grandma Hannah Durham, would be very grateful. many thanks

Christine D

starcris

Post by starcris »

My great grandfather died at no.3 Greenhill Road, Armley in 1933, he was just 69 years old and I was wondering if he was also buried in the cemetery close by Armley Hill Top, I use to have burial records but don't seem to be able to use the discs on my computer now. Can anyone help me find a grave possibly for Stephen Durham and maybe even for my gt grandma Hannah Durham, would be very grateful. many thanks

Christine D

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I have found Stephen Durham and Hannah Durham (nee Walls) on Ancestry but it does not state where they were buried.
The address at the time of death Hannah 1932, Stephen 1933 was 22 Cardigan Grove and not Greenhill Road. Is this correct?

I have searched Yorkshire indexers with no luck, if you have further info you can sending me a private message at the top right of the page.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

vidlam

Post by vidlam »

I worked at St. Mary's on the maintenance staff '64 to '68. It was like a little community, with the Queen Bee being the Matron. Everyone was answerable to her and she ruled with a rod of iron. Everything was spotless and shipshape when she made her daily inspection. I remember helping the resident electrician to erect the huge annual Christmas tree and lights at the front of the hospital. On completion, he informed me that we would receive 'a wee dram' from the Scottish matron. She led us into her office and proffered a glass of whisky to the sparky. Turning to me she enquired, "How old are you?" "I'm 21 matron" says I "Oh no, too young" she said. Nevertheless I have many happy memories of my time there.

jma

Re:

Post by jma »

Steve266 wrote:My brother was born there 1954 I remember going to collect him brining him home in the washing basket none of these fancy carrying cots they have nowadays Mum still going stong she will be 90 this year and still complains about old folk not getting a move on
My brother was born there in 1947 when I was a couple of months short of my third birthday. Going there with my Grandma to see him is one of my earliest memories to which I can set an accurate date. Over the years, I wondered whether I was imagining rather than remembering the place, but when I returned as an adult, it was pretty much as I remembered it, especially the gardens.

Our mother died aged 95 last summer having lived independently in Armley until she was 94. Among the various places I took her in her last years were the excellent William Merritt Centre which is at St Mary's. They give really helpful advice on disability issues and have displays of all manner of things like furniture and gadgets. They certainly helped me to help my mother to keep her independence for as long as possible. As her dementia got worse, she also attended a clinic at St Mary's. The doctor she saw was from overseas and she had some trouble understanding him. Although her short-term memory had gone, and her long term memories were only of her childhood, she was still pretty sharp with things which were "here and now." Among various tests, the doctor handed her a piece of paper which she had to take in her left hand, which she did. He asked her to write anything she liked, which she did, and he then asked her to pass the paper back to him using her right hand which she managed without problem. She had written, in a very strong hand "You do as a lot of questions." At the conclusion of the appointment he asked her if she had any questions and stumped for something to ask she said "How do you keep your shoes so shiny?" She was hardly out of the door before announcing "I wanted to ask why are all you lot over here? but I knew you would be annoyed if I did."

When my mother did eventually go into care, it was on what would have been my late father's 100th birthday, and it was the Spinney, on Armley Grange Avenue, just down from St Mary's.

When my mother died last year, among her bits and pieces was the receipt from Leeds City Council for the fee for the ambulance pre-NHS in 1947. Sadly, my brother died suddenly in 1995 and I passed on that small memento to his side of the family.

Finally, as another bit of useless info, I lived in Greenhill Close from 1967 to 69, next to the pylon.

craigt567

Post by craigt567 »

Hi my friends dad was born Malcolm Hann 1963 here
We are looking for his birth parents
On the birth certificate it says his mother was Nita Hann a student nurse from Shincliffe Durham 1963 any help would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks

[email protected]

craigt567

Post by craigt567 »

U