St Mary's Hospital - Armley

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
steve

Post by steve »

hi i was born there in early may 1955 and my wife was born there in late may 1955 i also delivered the yorkshire post there in 1967

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

My eldest Brother was born there in April 1938 My Mother had such a bad time in childbirth, over 48 hours in labour after her waters had broke, she decided to have the other 3, including me at home. When it was a poor house, my Great Grandad was taken there and died there and was then buried at St Marys cemetary. Just because it was called a Poor House, you could be taken there for the Doctors and Nurses who looked after you when you were really ill. You could also live there if you were retired and could not work anymore. You could also be let out on a daily basis and then went back at night. He died there in 1897. Having been born in Armley Leeds, and generations of my family were there are quite a few of them I have found where it states they died in Bramley, but of course it was St Marys.The cemetary is still there, the building of St Marys is still there, the Pub called the Travellers of Hill Top is still there and does a lovely meal. The West Leeds High school has now been made into flats and the playing field has nice houses on it.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

SandraB

Post by SandraB »

Alliw wrote: My mother in law now aged 85 had her first child at st marys hospital, unfortunatley her son was very poorly when born and the baby died hours later, she said she never saw the baby, her busband did and the hospital arranged a funeral within the grounds of the hospital. She told me she did not attend the funeral as she was so poorly but it would be interesting to know if they kept any record of where the children were burried, the baby was full term ans was born alive but died hours later. Does anybody know if there is a section within the hospital which is a cemetary? This happened in 1948. As far as I know there isn't a burial area within the hospital grounds, although I'm not 100% certain, but there is a cemetery next door to the hospital which is called Armley Hill Top Cemetery so the baby could have been buried there. The page for Leeds City Council which lists cemeteries is at http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Page.aspx?pageI ... dd391e04e0 and if you contact them with the name, date and place of death they'll be able to tell you where the grave is. Hope that helps.

weenie

Post by weenie »

SandraB wrote: Alliw wrote: My mother in law now aged 85 had her first child at st marys hospital, unfortunatley her son was very poorly when born and the baby died hours later, she said she never saw the baby, her busband did and the hospital arranged a funeral within the grounds of the hospital. She told me she did not attend the funeral as she was so poorly but it would be interesting to know if they kept any record of where the children were burried, the baby was full term ans was born alive but died hours later. Does anybody know if there is a section within the hospital which is a cemetary? This happened in 1948. As far as I know there isn't a burial area within the hospital grounds, although I'm not 100% certain, but there is a cemetery next door to the hospital which is called Armley Hill Top Cemetery so the baby could have been buried there. The page for Leeds City Council which lists cemeteries is at http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Page.aspx?pageI ... dd391e04e0 and if you contact them with the name, date and place of death they'll be able to tell you where the grave is. Hope that helps. I have access to Armley Hilltop burial records if you give me a surname and year i can search for you Weenie

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

I was born there 20th November 1970.

Alliw

Post by Alliw »

weenie wrote: SandraB wrote: Alliw wrote: My mother in law now aged 85 had her first child at st marys hospital, unfortunatley her son was very poorly when born and the baby died hours later, she said she never saw the baby, her busband did and the hospital arranged a funeral within the grounds of the hospital. She told me she did not attend the funeral as she was so poorly but it would be interesting to know if they kept any record of where the children were burried, the baby was full term ans was born alive but died hours later. Does anybody know if there is a section within the hospital which is a cemetary? This happened in 1948. As far as I know there isn't a burial area within the hospital grounds, although I'm not 100% certain, but there is a cemetery next door to the hospital which is called Armley Hill Top Cemetery so the baby could have been buried there. The page for Leeds City Council which lists cemeteries is at http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Page.aspx?pageI ... dd391e04e0 and if you contact them with the name, date and place of death they'll be able to tell you where the grave is. Hope that helps. I have access to Armley Hilltop burial records if you give me a surname and year i can search for you Weenie Thankyou so much Weenie!, that would be amazing if you could locate a grave number etc for me! The babies name was John W Whitlam and died in the first quater (Jan, Feb, March) 1948.Fingers Crossed!!

weenie

Post by weenie »

Just checked the burials at Armley Cemetary, and the only Whitlam to be buried is Mary Agnes Whitlam aged 78 in 1963There is however ... dont know if any significanceJohn Doughty who died in 1948 aged 11 days old, who died at 3 Greenhill Road.. which is the address for St Mary's is buried in Armley Cemetary. Nothing for the name John Whitlam though Ive tried the usual places, New Wortley, Farnley, St Peters church yard, St Barts, Bramley weslyan, New Wortley Bethal, St Johns Wortley, Killingbeck, Leeds General and nothing for a Whitlam in 1948.. I dont know if you know there is a private cem at Bramley opp st Peter's maybe he was buried there.?? I know Lawnswood do not have the records for there but the church do. Could he be buried with a family member??. find out where they lived at the time, and anyone parents/ grandparents siblings/ cousins Aunts etc. We was told that my Gt Uncle was buried at the foot of his father in Armley... we thought that for years it was only 2 years ago that looking into family tree did i find out he is with his Aunt in Leeds General Cemetary Weenie

Barry Cade

Post by Barry Cade »

Born in St Mary's in 1975... Used to live fairly close-by but not any more, sadly.

ann mcleod

Post by ann mcleod »

I was born in st marys in august 1955 and my sister was born January 1954. we migrated to Australia in may 1959. I am going back there September this year and I am going the see the hospital I am just wondering if its still there
a mcleod

tilly

Post by tilly »

ann mcleod wrote: I was born in st marys in august 1955 and my sister was born January 1954. we migrated to Australia in may 1959. I am going back there September this year and I am going the see the hospital I am just wondering if its still there Welcome to secret leeds Ann Yes the hospital is still there but not maternity any more have a safe trip.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.