Dancehall in County Arcade

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
beetee

Post by beetee »

Yes, lots of names and memories on the Leodis site County Arcade, Mecca LocarnoSubject ID:20031028_83919925Be interesting to see how the Savile thing develops, there are many references to him here.

kamasz

Post by kamasz »

Like most people i stumbled across a pic of the old Mecca in the County Arcade on the Leodis site. Amazingly saw posts from an old school pal and a couple of football teammates. Pete Brent the former DJ there tipped me off about this site. So many happy memories of the music and motown .Loved the Christmas all nighters. My heyday there was around 67. Would love to hear from anyone of that vintage. I went to St Michaels Grammar school and emigrated to play football in Australia following my brother Stefan. Now living in Perth Western Australia. Had a reunion with some old pals in 2005 and took a picture outside the old Mecca. Also enjoyed the Merrion Centre who had a great Monday night session, but it wasnt as cosy as the the arcade.I remeber queuing up for an all night sessions and a group of rockers rode down the arcade and chucked bottles at us Mods.These were the best days of my life..Stuart Kamasz, ex Horsforth.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Hi Stuart, and welcome to the site.I have probably met you in the halcyon years at the spinning disk (Mecca) and the keyhole club upstairs, there are numerous threads on the Leeds mod scene and cafe culture. I'll attached some.http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... =4300Happy reading Regards Geoff    

ClaireBear81293

Post by ClaireBear81293 »

Hi, My grandad Tony Hardcastle was a bouncer at The Mecca back in the day and he sadly passed away recently, does anybody possibly have any memories of him they would share please?thank you

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

ClaireBear81293 wrote: Hi, My grandad Tony Hardcastle was a bouncer at The Mecca back in the day and he sadly passed away recently, does anybody possibly have any memories of him they would share please?thank you Hi ClaireBear. Sorry i have not but by any chance are you someone who runs a barbers shop in Beeston?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

ClaireBear81293 wrote: Hi, My grandad Tony Hardcastle was a bouncer at The Mecca back in the day and he sadly passed away recently, does anybody possibly have any memories of him they would share please?thank you I'm sorry to hear that news. Many of us fondly remember Tony on here and he has been mentioned in several threads over the years. In fact he is mentioned on the first page of this thread. Is it true that he was a furniture salesman by day?Personally, I remember him being the bouncer at The Peel and possibly The Piccadilly Bar [Swan]. He always recognised our little gang and had a big smile for everyone. I bet he could have written a book about his experiences in Leeds nightlife! I'd love to know more about his life if that's not too intrusive ClaireBear. Here are links to a few threads where he is mentioned: http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... sage=50RIP    

ClaireBear81293

I've read a lot of them, it was lovely to see such kind words written about him, he had lots of experiences such as boby building, rugby playing and obviously the leeds nightlife which he always spoke about fondly, i would love to know some memories people have of him. What would you like to know about him, if I know it, i'd be happy to speak to you    

ClaireBear81293

Geordie-exile wrote: ClaireBear81293 wrote: Hi, My grandad Tony Hardcastle was a bouncer at The Mecca back in the day and he sadly passed away recently, does anybody possibly have any memories of him they would share please?thank you I'm sorry to hear that news. Many of us fondly remember Tony on here and he has been mentioned in several threads over the years. In fact he is mentioned on the first page of this thread. Is it true that he was a furniture salesman by day?Personally, I remember him being the bouncer at The Peel and possibly The Piccadilly Bar [Swan]. He always recognised our little gang and had a big smile for everyone. I bet he could have written a book about his experiences in Leeds nightlife! I'd love to know more about his life if that's not too intrusive ClaireBear. Here are links to a few threads where he is mentioned: http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... sage=50RIP     I've read a lot of them, it was lovely to see such kind words written about him, he had lots of experiences such as boby building, rugby playing and obviously the leeds nightlife which he always spoke about fondly, i would love to know some memories people have of him. What would you like to know about him, if I know it, i'd be happy to speak to you    

Oldvynal

Post by Oldvynal »

Hi Clare I remember Tony your grandfather very well .I am sorry to hear of his passing .Tony used to work on the Door and around the dancehall in the early 60s .At that time Wilfred Preen was the Manager and Jimmy Savile was then resident disc Jockey long before he was on TVs top of the pops .The Mecca was then the in place to go and was packed out most nights .I used to go there 4 times a week with my mates .Jimmy savile was then also into professional wresteling and employed other doormen ,I can remember one who went by the name of Billy two Rivers.. It was really a shame Leeds Council decided to demolish the Old Mecca in County Arcade and move it to the Merrion Center ,I suppose they call it progress and ended up with the victoria center just like what happened in Liverpool when they demolished the old Cavern Club for a supposed subway and then rebuilt it accross the road .THese places were shrines to the start of Rock and roll and its amazing how the songs played them are timeless and still played today The old Mecca had an atmosphere and the thing is you had to be there to expierience it .It was also at the time The beatles were becomming popular along with many more liverpool groups .The Mecca was also the place where the twin none stop record player was indroduced .So you had none stop music .Before the Old Mecca became a dancehall it used to be a victorian tea rooms an elaborate roccoco style building decorated in pink and gold ornate plaster work with an upstairs balcony .I hope that i have given you a picture of where your granfather used to work .........

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

The mention of Billy Two Rivers (a Wrestler on the Northern circuit) who was allegedly a Red Indian reminds me of two other wrestlers from Leeds at that time. Paul Luty (Graham) and Jim Moran who also were Doormen / Bouncers around the town. Paul Luty also appeared as the Barman in the Prison Officers club in "Porridge" and had a small part at the very end of the movie "Railway Children". Jim Moran was a giant of a man and also could be a nasty piece of work, he seemed to take a delight in throwing folks, who may have had a bit too much to drink, down two flights of stairs of Jim Windsors Commercial club in Vicar Lane. I too was a Meccarite until late 1960 and then married a girl I met there.     Happy days.