Dancehall in County Arcade

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
whippetgirl

Post by whippetgirl »

Chrism wrote: I think Mecca were a ballroom company way back. I have no idea on the word Locarno. I remember the shops underneath the Mecca, and it was dark down there. They used to have a DJ on saturday afternoons. So it was full of teens in there, I was one of them. I think you and I must have been in the same place on many occasions in the early 70's going by some of your threads/comments.
jjjjj

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

whippetgirl wrote: Chrism wrote: I think Mecca were a ballroom company way back. I have no idea on the word Locarno. I remember the shops underneath the Mecca, and it was dark down there. They used to have a DJ on saturday afternoons. So it was full of teens in there, I was one of them. I think you and I must have been in the same place on many occasions in the early 70's going by some of your threads/comments. Possibly WG, very possibly.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Middleton Sheriff

Post by Middleton Sheriff »

My old Dad was a bouncer at the Mecca in county Arcade in the fifties. He was headhunted from there to go work as doorman at Mark Altman's Ballroom on Great George Street, more money apparently. One of the perks was that they taught him to dance, six foot four and eighteen stone and moved like Nijinski. I'll try to asttach a contemporary photo of him.
Attachments
__TFMF_0azvef55imctpb45pqsvmty2_12d9381d-95e3-42ca-bad0-fa3dbb083169_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0azvef55imctpb45pqsvmty2_12d9381d-95e3-42ca-bad0-fa3dbb083169_0_main.jpg (110.36 KiB) Viewed 8938 times

Si

Post by Si »

By the looks of him, if he wanted more money, all he had to do was ask. I wouldn't mess with him!

Oldvynal

Post by Oldvynal »

Hi all ,Reading all of your comments about the Mecca Locarno Dancehall in the county arcade brougt back many memories .I was a regular visitor there from 1960 to 1966, the place used to be heaving on a weekend .I remember Wilf Preen he was manager there from the mid 60s little chap with a black tash and jimmy saville was a regular DJ there and often stood outside chatting to the doormen when not on stage .The place was on three tiers .The basement was the cafe and jimmy use to frequent there with his blue and yellow mcaw parrott .from the cafe you went up a small flight of stairs to the main dancehall which was normally occupied with wall to wall birds .Mainly it was dancing to the latest hit records from bobby vee to the Beatles ,and on occasions dancing to live bands and of course after the Rock and Roll it was smooch time or what we called pick a bird time . Above the dancefloor was a balcony with tables and seating arrangements which you got to by a flight of stairs on the left ,At the Top of the stairs was a black door this was the club for members only and had to show your pass to enter it was called THE TUDOR CLUB I was a member of that club ,Inside was a small dance floor and a bar ,and this is where many of the Leeds United Players hung out .Bobby Collins . Gary Sprake, Gilesy to mention a few .The Mecca was a great place to go and had very little trouble as the doormen usually vetted everyone who entered .Its just a pity it was demolished for what is now a clothes shop .I did read an article in the Yorkshire Post that when they were dismantling the old mecca some workmen saw a couple dancing on the old dance floor and then suddenly dissapeared .I guess the place must have been haunted .

carith

Post by carith »

In the mid seventies the underground area of the County Arcade was called Boudlham?.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I think you have got a tad mixed up there Carith. Boodle-am is/was a shop in the Victoria quarter. It's been around since the 60's. I got my first pair of Kicker boots from there, and countless joss sticks. I can't remember them being in the underground store. There were stalls selling similar sorts of stuff as Boodle-Am though.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

carith

Post by carith »

As I remember it was in the arcade off vicar lane on the left hand side as you walk up vicar lane just before what was once the Robin Hood pub. Now that was a pub with a reputation.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Chrism wrote: I think you have got a tad mixed up there Carith. Boodle-am is/was a shop in the Victoria quarter. It's been around since the 60's. I got my first pair of Kicker boots from there, and countless joss sticks. I can't remember them being in the underground store. There were stalls selling similar sorts of stuff as Boodle-Am though. Yes, Boodleam was on the right as you walked from Vicar Lane to Brigate - Queen Vic St. (Or was it King Edwds - confuse the two)    

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

chameleon wrote: Chrism wrote: I think you have got a tad mixed up there Carith. Boodle-am is/was a shop in the Victoria quarter. It's been around since the 60's. I got my first pair of Kicker boots from there, and countless joss sticks. I can't remember them being in the underground store. There were stalls selling similar sorts of stuff as Boodle-Am though. Yes, Boodleam was on the right as you walked from Vicar Lane to Brigate - Queen Vic St. (Or was it King Edwds - confuse the two) Hi everyone,There was a previous thread on Boodle Am:http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... Light=1Ian