The Old Seacroft Shopping Centre

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

BLAKEY wrote: Don't forget also the tidy little bus station on the lower level of the old Centre - I wish I could go back to those days, and driving on one of my favourite routes the 45 (and later a slight diversion as a 64) which ran from Stanks (Kelmscott Green) to Wortley and was great to work on. I'd wager that the good people of Kelmscott Green would have you believe they live in Crossgates rather than Stanks nowadays Blakey, but we know different don't we..?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

raveydavey wrote: ]I'd wager that the good people of Kelmscott Green would have you believe they live in Crossgates rather than Stanks nowadays Blakey, but we know different don't we..? Too true raveydavey, and we drivers had to really behave ourselves while circling around Kelmscott Green at the terminus - the very stern LCT personnel officer lived there !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

BLAKEY wrote: raveydavey wrote: ]I'd wager that the good people of Kelmscott Green would have you believe they live in Crossgates rather than Stanks nowadays Blakey, but we know different don't we..? Too true raveydavey, and we drivers had to really behave ourselves while circling around Kelmscott Green at the terminus - the very stern LCT personnel officer lived there !! Years ago in the 80's there was a bus driver who always used to beep his horn at a house in Church Lane near Barwick Road. . a lady always waved at him from that window.Funny what you remember.

DavidB1973

Post by DavidB1973 »

Wow lots to read there, not sure if its posted but do any of you remember the Milk Race that would go around the shopping Centre? you got a badge and a paper hat free.Patel had a Batmobile Made to bring Father Christmas one year, it was made from a Triumph Herald and looked Fab, the glass Domes on it cost Patel £6000 He also did the A team van and look-a-like Mr T and a helicopter brought santa one year as well as all the model Kit shows, remember them?I was a paper boy at one of the shops and did the round on my Chopper, great days. Wimpy did the best chips and milk shake, their tomato sauce was the best I have ever had.You could get everything you wanted at Seacroft, what a shame its no more.
Born in Leeds 14 now lives in cumbria

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Enjoy the whole of Chrism's excellent video here of John Betjeman Leeds 1968.http://vimeo.com/44378610Or ffwd to 22:18 & Seacroft Centre

DavidB1973

Post by DavidB1973 »

Jogon wrote: Enjoy the whole of Chrism's excellent video here of John Betjeman Leeds 1968.http://vimeo.com/44378610Or ffwd to 22:18 & Seacroft Centre absolutely fabulous Video, wish they had shot more around seacroft, thanks :-)

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

DavidB1973 wrote: Wow lots to read there, not sure if its posted but do any of you remember the Milk Race that would go around the shopping Centre? you got a badge and a paper hat free.Patel had a Batmobile Made to bring Father Christmas one year, it was made from a Triumph Herald and looked Fab, the glass Domes on it cost Patel £6000 He also did the A team van and look-a-like Mr T and a helicopter brought santa one year as well as all the model Kit shows, remember them?I was a paper boy at one of the shops and did the round on my Chopper, great days. Wimpy did the best chips and milk shake, their tomato sauce was the best I have ever had.You could get everything you wanted at Seacroft, what a shame its no more. I remember the Batmobile bringing Father Christmas - and now you mention it I remember the Milk Race too, something I'd completely forgotten.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

DavidB1973

Post by DavidB1973 »

raveydavey wrote: DavidB1973 wrote: Wow lots to read there, not sure if its posted but do any of you remember the Milk Race that would go around the shopping Centre? you got a badge and a paper hat free.Patel had a Batmobile Made to bring Father Christmas one year, it was made from a Triumph Herald and looked Fab, the glass Domes on it cost Patel £6000 He also did the A team van and look-a-like Mr T and a helicopter brought santa one year as well as all the model Kit shows, remember them?I was a paper boy at one of the shops and did the round on my Chopper, great days. Wimpy did the best chips and milk shake, their tomato sauce was the best I have ever had.You could get everything you wanted at Seacroft, what a shame its no more. I remember the Batmobile bringing Father Christmas - and now you mention it I remember the Milk Race too, something I'd completely forgotten. I do have some pictures of Seacroft that Mr Patel sent me that I could dig out, he did say he has some of the Batmobile and other events but sadly he didn't reply to my last couple of emails.He does have a shop Harehills if somebody wanted to call in ans ask, he's a friendly chap who likes to chat about the old days, he might dig some pictures out :-)

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

some images on the youtube 'rise & fall of 60's Leeds'

Davew

Post by Davew »

The dinosaur was demolished in the late 70's early 80's. for those that remember it it was like a brontosaurus laid down, and curled into an L or C shape. You could walk up its tail, across its back and down its neck (the whole thing was constructed from black bricks and the walk/climb was 1 brick wide. It was also narrow and and from memory arranged like spikes, poor maintenance meant that some of the bricks were loose and some missing). Unfortunately somebody fell from the high point, broke their neck and died. Prior to that there were numerous other injuries. Health and safety went mad and it was closed and demolished. It used to face onto the raised bandstand (which sometimes had railings and sometimes didn't), santas grotto used to be on the bandstand. Unfortunately somebody fell off the bandstand a couple of years after the dinosaur was demolished. Lo and behold the bandstand got demolished too.Does anybody remember the castle the used to be on Whinmoor way next to Farndale court?, built from surplus construction materials (tunnels made from 3ft concrete sewer pipe and cannons made from ceramic water pipe). The walls were made from stone (or man made stone), it was a fabulous place to play as a kid, until it fell into disrepair, and after being used a source of stone by some residents (stone fireplaces were the in thing at the time) was finally demolished in the late 80s?