Cashdisia(I think!)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
stevief

Post by stevief »

Located on Vicar Lane opposite the market.I was watching one of Fred Dibnahs programmes where he was deMONstrating how the old Co-Ops used to move cash from the counter to the accountingdept.by means of either a gravity ball and gutter system or a compressed air shute.I can clearly remember Cashdisia(?) operatingthe compressed air system.It was a great place for denims.Jeans and shirts.

Terrym

Post by Terrym »

Hi,Yes you are right Cashdeisha did have that system as did the old co-op on Albion Street.

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

Rawcliffe's on Duncan Street had this system well into the 1970's, and probably the early '80s'

stevief

Post by stevief »

electricaldave wrote: Rawcliffe's on Duncan Street had this system well into the 1970's, and probably the early '80s' "Rawcliffes" That was always THE place to buy football/rugby shirts.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

stevief wrote: electricaldave wrote: Rawcliffe's on Duncan Street had this system well into the 1970's, and probably the early '80s' "Rawcliffes" That was always THE place to buy football/rugby shirts. yep! got all my p.e kit, rugby kit and school uniform for xgreen there in 79...they still had that system then.    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wiggy wrote: stevief wrote: electricaldave wrote: Rawcliffe's on Duncan Street had this system well into the 1970's, and probably the early '80s' "Rawcliffes" That was always THE place to buy football/rugby shirts. yep! got all my p.e kit, rugby kit and school uniform for xgreen there in 79...they still had that system then.     Me too Wiggy,the one and only place then for uniform etc,and as we know both in the same year for us too.Remember Casdesia having these dark wood framed glass display counters with all their products laid out on wooden trays that were removed for you to "peruse"the article in question.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

stevief wrote: Located on Vicar Lane opposite the market.I was watching one of Fred Dibnahs programmes where he was deMONstrating how the old Co-Ops used to move cash from the counter to the accountingdept.by means of either a gravity ball and gutter system or a compressed air shute.I can clearly remember Cashdisia(?) operatingthe compressed air system.It was a great place for denims.Jeans and shirts. Correction:De-MON-sterating        8-)
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Terrym wrote: Hi,Yes you are right Cashdeisha did have that system as did the old co-op on Albion Street. Lewis's had the same system. Morrisons at Morley still use this system - modernised of course - plastic containers for the money, bu tin essence the same system.I remember Cashdishia - my mum used to get jeans there. Speaking of machines in shops - I remember Stead and Simpson having a foot x-ray machine - don't ask me why but they did. You stood on a platform and put your feet in a hole at the bottom and looked through a slot at the top and you could see an x-ray of your feet.
Industria Omnia Vincit

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

It's surprising how many places still use these transport systems, hardly noticed because they are so quiet now perhaps.I recall that Gillinsons, a large warehouse which was on Kirkgate next to the Market entrance (and now a Chinese Restaurant) used these to send transaction dockets to the office and return receipts.Quite different then, old black pipes curling their way smoothly to and from their destination, the transport containers in shining brass with heavy cork ends. As a child I used to wait for their return to the desk but never noticed the warning rattle down the tube until the thing was spat out into a waiting wire basket with some force, always making me jump!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

chameleon wrote: It's surprising how many places still use these transport systems, hardly noticed because they are so quiet now perhaps.I recall that Gillinsons, a large warehouse which was on Kirkgate next to the Market entrance (and now a Chinese Restaurant) used these to send transaction dockets to the office and return receipts.Quite different then, old black pipes curling their way smoothly to and from their destination, the transport containers in shining brass with heavy cork ends. As a child I used to wait for their return to the desk but never noticed the warning rattle down the tube until the thing was spat out into a waiting wire basket with some force, always making me jump! In the pretend co-op at Beamish, the money goes in a sort of wooden ball, which is put in a cradle and propelled along a wire - don't ask me how it works but it does.
Industria Omnia Vincit