Old Leeds Firms

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi Sri130Yes I remember the Morley Hotels and Leisure complex that was formerly Dean Hall Mills, I used to go to Bruntcliffe high school so walked past it everyday, the snooker centre was later rebranded the Joe Johnson snooker centre after the 'local' lads fame. Basically the whole place was bought up by Morley's own plastic gangsters who tried hopelessly to run a series of ventures from there including bars / nightclubs that changed name more times than I've had hot dinners, I think it was called LA's, Churchills, The Foundry, Winners and all sorts of cheesy bollox! In the end I think they just chucked it in and what with the property boom cashed in the land for property development. Good riddance to bad rubbish I reckon, still its a shame to lose the old mill building / snooker centre. I guess the mill building could have been tastefully converted into 'apartments' as has been done to some of Morley's other 53 mills. Anyway hope this offers a little light on the subject.Johnny    
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

sri130

Post by sri130 »

Hi Jon,Glad someone remembers it. I worked for 3 tough years as a teenager in that complex.Correct, it was rebraded Joe Johnson, I even remember him showing up there once. Although I bet he made a swift exit. lolNow, these plastic gangsters you speak of, I can name. Although I wont, you're are spot on in your description. My old man was heavily involved with it all for at least 10 years, so I saw and heard a few goings on in the place, he was a wannabe gangster too.The nightclub eventually ended up being call 'the foundry' and was relocated from the building that was 'L.A's' actually to the inside of the main building. It was cheesy as hell, but for the first few years the local Morley crew lapped it all up, and I can remember the place being packed on fri/sat nights. But as with every nightclub, it quickly lost its appeal, looked outdated and bombed.I guess they cashed in, like you say. although I do know that one of the plastic gangsters is still running a pub in the area....

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

sri130 wrote: Hi Jon,The nightclub eventually ended up being call 'the foundry' and was relocated from the building that was 'L.A's' actually to the inside of the main building. It was cheesy as hell, but for the first few years the local Morley crew lapped it all up, and I can remember the place being packed on fri/sat nights. But as with every nightclub, it quickly lost its appeal, looked outdated and bombed.I guess they cashed in, like you say. although I do know that one of the plastic gangsters is still running a pub in the area.... I suppose it was called "The Foundry" because there used to be a foundry just up the road - on the site of the 27 and Gildersome Spur Industrial Estate. Hudsons. They made trucks for the pits. They had offices on Meadow Lane in Leeds. They also built the Shawnee-Poole dumper truck which was based on a Fordson Tractor. The foundry closed and later they diversfied into Ford Construction Equipment and Komatsu dealers - working out of offices that are now the Trading Standards offices. They moved eventually to Cas - Cinder Lane - (with branches in Lancs) I know I worked next door. Alas they are no more. The foundry was enormous and a huge employer.
Industria Omnia Vincit

sri130

Post by sri130 »

Trojan wrote: I suppose it was called "The Foundry" because there used to be a foundry just up the road - on the site of the 27 and Gildersome Spur Industrial Estate. Hudsons. They made trucks for the pits. They had offices on Meadow Lane in Leeds. They also built the Shawnee-Poole dumper truck which was based on a Fordson Tractor. The foundry closed and later they diversfied into Ford Construction Equipment and Komatsu dealers - working out of offices that are now the Trading Standards offices. They moved eventually to Cas - Cinder Lane - (with branches in Lancs) I know I worked next door. Alas they are no more. The foundry was enormous and a huge employer. Yup, no doubt it was named for that reason. Interesting stuff there Trojan.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

sri130 wrote: Hi Jon,Glad someone remembers it. I worked for 3 tough years as a teenager in that complex.Correct, it was rebraded Joe Johnson, I even remember him showing up there once. Although I bet he made a swift exit. lolNow, these plastic gangsters you speak of, I can name. Although I wont, you're are spot on in your description. My old man was heavily involved with it all for at least 10 years, so I saw and heard a few goings on in the place, he was a wannabe gangster too.The nightclub eventually ended up being call 'the foundry' and was relocated from the building that was 'L.A's' actually to the inside of the main building. It was cheesy as hell, but for the first few years the local Morley crew lapped it all up, and I can remember the place being packed on fri/sat nights. But as with every nightclub, it quickly lost its appeal, looked outdated and bombed.I guess they cashed in, like you say. although I do know that one of the plastic gangsters is still running a pub in the area.... Also on the site for a short while was an Italian restaurant in a seperate prefab type building, it was much more Morleyesque than Italianate.Another venture was to offer fishing in the mill pond I don't know if anyone ever caught a fish in there.All in all very much "A dollar short and a day late"
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

[quotenick="Bramley4woods"] sri130 wrote: Hi Jon,Also on the site for a short while was an Italian restaurant in a seperate prefab type building, it was much more Morleyesque than Italianate. Speaking of Italian restaurants in Morley, does anyone on here have a clue as the status of the Italian in what was the Pavilion Cinema (After Dark). It opened, and six months later it closed. this is about three years ago now. The furniture, glasses etc are still there in the bar - it's like the Marie Celeste. There' s been no vandalism either which is a surprise.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

and a nightcluband a nightclub[quotenick="Trojan"] Bramley4woods wrote: sri130 wrote: Hi Jon,Also on the site for a short while was an Italian restaurant in a seperate prefab type building, it was much more Morleyesque than Italianate. Speaking of Italian restaurants in Morley, does anyone on here have a clue as the status of the Italian in what was the Pavilion Cinema (After Dark). It opened, and six months later it closed. this is about three years ago now. The furniture, glasses etc are still there in the bar - it's like the Marie Celeste. There' s been no vandalism either which is a surprise. Puccino'sIt's actually a national / worldwide franchise operation.http://www.puccinos.com/However something went wrong at that location, I went in with the missus one lunchtime and they only had one pizza in the place. Next time I went past it was closed.You can't see a quarter of it from the road.I did ask to get shown around it and where the old cinema auditorium used to be had been fitted out as a cross between a restaurant in a cruise liner and a nightclub. It must have cost £100,000's . Just the Franchise alone would cost about that much.Somebody's broken dream ...
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

[quotenick="Bramley4woods"]and a nightcluband a nightclub[quotenick="Trojan"][quotenick="Bramley4woods"] sri130 wrote: Puccino'sIt's actually a national / worldwide franchise operation.http://www.puccinos.com/However something went wrong at that location, I went in with the missus one lunchtime and they only had one pizza in the place. Next time I went past it was closed.You can't see a quarter of it from the road.I did ask to get shown around it and where the old cinema auditorium used to be had been fitted out as a cross between a restaurant in a cruise liner and a nightclub. It must have cost £100,000's . Just the Franchise alone would cost about that much.Somebody's broken dream ... Well thanks for that - it's been puzzling me for some time. We used to eat at Picassos, but when Puccinos opened Picasso's went bust. Picassos has now of course re-opened as Kasarosa and we've been there quite a lot. For Morley, it's very good. And it's within walking distance so you don't to go easy on the red!
Industria Omnia Vincit

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi Sri!This pub been run by one of Morley's plazzie gangsters wouldnt happen to be the Royal in Morley Bottoms would it? Infact I think last time I passed it it wasnt even called The Royal anymore, it had been given another cheesy name ala - LA's, The Foundry etc! WHat a joke, it makes me cringe...
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

jonleeds wrote: Hi Sri!This pub been run by one of Morley's plazzie gangsters wouldnt happen to be the Royal in Morley Bottoms would it? Infact I think last time I passed it it wasnt even called The Royal anymore, it had been given another cheesy name ala - LA's, The Foundry etc! WHat a joke, it makes me cringe... No the Royal is a "Last Orders" pub - part of a chain. I've lived in Morley (if you count 10 years at West Ardsley) all my life and never once been in there. A glance through the window is enough - no hand pumps no Trojan!
Industria Omnia Vincit