Old Leeds Firms

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo (taken July 8 2013) shows 'John Butler Iron Works Stanningley Leeds' on a central feature on Leeds Bridge. I had expected there to be plenty of information in SL about John Butler’s iron works but found only a few threads had a mention. Some information can be found in these threads:- http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... readID=365 and http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... e=0&#62846    The Leodis website seemed to have only 4 items that mention the John Butler iron works and their photos are general ones relating to the bridge.I have found the following information in Wikipedia:- “The bridge was rebuilt in 1870-73 by W. H. Barlow to a design by T. Dyne Steel. The iron was cast by John Butler of Stanningley” and about John Butler's from Grace’s Guide:- “John Butler Iron Works. Engineer, Ironfounder and Millwright of Stanningley Works, Near Leeds. c1820 Business founded by Joseph Butler (1797-1870). Joseph's son John Butler took over the business and changed the name. 1880 Commenced building steam cranes. 1930s Company closed”.Not being sure how to do it in a post that already has a photo I have not tried to post an 1876 advert in Grace’s Guide for John Butler here but I will post it in my next post.    
Attachments
001R.jpg
001R.jpg (94.34 KiB) Viewed 6873 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is the 1876 advert for John Butler's that I have taken from the Grace's Guide website.
Attachments
Im1876POWor-ButlerReduced.jpg
Im1876POWor-ButlerReduced.jpg (108.22 KiB) Viewed 6874 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a photo on page 13 of the Yorkshire Evening Post today (July 16 2013) taken August 27 1982 showing a Fred Holdsworth, aged 77, of Yeadon. In the photo caption it states Fred "is one of the few people who remember building a special aircraft - the Arrow Active....built at Arrow Aircraft (Leeds) Ltd, Little Russell Street, off Whitehall Road, Leeds". The photo of Fred shows him holding a photo (or drawing) of what is presumably an Arrow Active aeroplane.I had expected to find mentions of Arrow Aircraft in SL but (unless my searching method is poor) I did not get a result. The only reference I have been able to readily find is a Wikipedia entry that (in full) states "Arrow Aircraft (Leeds) Limited was a British aircraft manufacturer of the 1930s based in Leeds. Its most significant design was the Arrow Active, an example of which is still flying as of 2007". I wonder if anyone knows any more information about Arrow Aircraft?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cardiarms wrote: This?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_Active Thanks for that link Cardiarms. It seems my finding so little on a search was because I searched under Arrow Aircraft, not Arrow Active. This is the link to Arrow Aircraft that I found in Wikipedia:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_Aircraft_Ltd.It's odd that my SL search under Arrow Aircraft did not bring anything up, but no doubt my SL searching is just as bad as my general searching!    

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

The Arrow Active is still flying in Yorkshire..With some very rare aircraft..http://www.realaero.com/collection.htm    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that link Loiner1960 which has fascinating photos of still flying old aircraft, including that of the ARROW ACTIVE 2 - G-ABVE (1932) that was "built with a slightly more powerful Gipsy III engine and has happily survived despite being damaged and rebuilt a number of times since".

Dicko

Post by Dicko »

col wrote: HiI am looking for any information , memories and especially photos of Procter Bros., wireworks in Leeds.I have so far only seen 2 on leodis and would love photos of the clock or the ANYTHING IN WIRE sign on the building I worked at Procter Bros Whitehall Road from the age of 15 Back in 1969 Stayed 27 years. I have several photos of the inside of the works and maybe just one of the outside. They are not on a computer so I will have to find out how to put them on here. I    

Dicko

Post by Dicko »

Hi ColNew on here so unsure if I sent the posting right first time.I started work at Procter Bros Wireworks in 1969 at the age of 15. Stayed there 27years.It was once and old mill and still had the cast iron pillars that held the wheels for the belt drive machines. I worked on the bottom floor in the ironworks dept. We made industrial gates and fencing. Upstairs on two other floors was the wireworks. On the top floor was a huge loom that worked on the same principal as a cloth loom, but this one weaved wire. It always fascinated me to watch it work, and it was hand driven. Wire was first passed between two cogs to crimp it and then weaved together on the loom. Any musuem would haved loved to have it. The wireworkers worked on wooden benches. They hammered staples into them to form a jig that they could weave wire around to make a frame, then cover it with the wire. They made things like machinery guards. It all looked very oldy worldy.I have a few photos of the inside and at least one of the outside. I took them myself and developed them. They are not on computer though, so not sure how to put them on here.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Dicko .Welcome to Secret Leeds (the last day of its current format before the new one starts in a few days!).That is very interesting about the machine. I wonder what happened to it?