Old Leeds Firms

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Fretless

Post by Fretless »

uncle mick wrote: Welcome Fretless. I can't be a lot of help but here are a couple of maps & the 1908 Directory for Old Row which only has two occupants listed one of whom is John William Thackeray (Plane Maker)The Armley Brewery owned by Samuel Ledgard became a yeast factory & in close proximity was the infamous J W Roberts asbestos factory1911 Census. Charles Thackeray the father of John William Thackeray living at 37 Old Row Thanks for that uncle mick. Much appreciated. Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I actually thought that I had set up the "email me if there are any responses" (or whatever it actually says), so I didn't think anyone had responded yet. Thanks again for the additional information. By the way, where can you find these directories? Are they online or must they be seen offline?    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Fretless wrote: . By the way, where can you find these directories? Are they online or must they be seen offline?     There are some free directories online here http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd ... ation.aspI tend to use those on Ancestry which I subscribe to    

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

BLAKEY wrote: Frankie Vaughan's real name was indeed Frankie Ableson. Actually, his name was Frank Abelson (different spelling) and he came from Liverpool. His connection with Leeds was that he studied at Leeds College of Art. I have heard the story about a connection with the Hunslet shed firm before - but it seems unlikely given the different spelling and the fact that he did not come from Leeds. Can anyone verify?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

kango

Post by kango »

The Museum of liverpool entry for Frankie Vaughan states that ..."He left school at 14 after winning a scholarship to the Lancaster College of Art and he continued his studies in Leeds when the family moved there to go into the timber business..."Also using the spelling Ableson, as per the shed Co, not Abelson.link to site.http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/ ... pxPossibly this timber business on Sheepscar street north.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL    

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

Kango - thanks very much for clearing that up. My dad - who used to work in the timber trade himself - always told me that Frankie Vaughan was from the family who owned the Hunslet timber company. However, the Wikipedia entry for him appeared to contradict this. Now I know!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I was always under the impression Frankie's wife, who I think was called Stella, was from Leeds and was an Ableson. I could of course be totally wrong.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

kango

Post by kango »

There's an interesting write up about Him on this site, a line of which implies Her maiden name was Shock."..Frankie and Stella Shock, who is shy about her age in the old-fashioned way, met immediately after he left the Army in 1949.His younger sister, Myra, had fixed up a date at the local Locarno, in Leeds..."http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Frankie+V ... 937303Also refered to as Stella Shock on this site.http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0891038/bioWhen I attended Cockburn high school, in one of the history lessons We had to name famous former pupils, I seem to recall someone saying that "Frankie Vaughans Missus" was one of them.True or apocryphal I couldn't say!    

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Frank F Abelson married Stella Shock in June 1951 Stella was born in December 1929, LeedsFrankie was born in Liverpool on 3rd February 1928.That's also my birthday although not my year lol. My Uncle Jim Midgley had to have his spleen outat Leeds Infirmary in the 1950's./ His next door neighbourin the bed was Frankies Dad. My Uncle told Frankie whenhe visited his Dad that his niece, me, was a fan and he got his autograph for me.Chuffed to death in those days as I think I was about 10.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

I remember walking up Old Row as a kid. I used to walk up there and run past the asbestos factory and try not to breathe as Mum told us not to get any dust in our lungs. I remember there was a family who lived at the end of Old Row in the 1950's who used to go to the Clock school with no shoes as the family had no money. I think they were called Roberts but might be wrong. They used to eat dirt and worms as they were so hungry. Behind Old Row if I remember rightly, there was the Bamfords who lived in what used to be a stables and a Farriers. I remember I went to school with a Wendy Bamford. Anyone around there probably died from Asbestos as once it was let loose on the Canal Road it was a accident waiting to happen and I say this with knowledge having looked after my Mum who died of mesothelioma and neighbours who died. I also have done my Ancestry and found out from the 1911 census that my Grandma also died of Asbestos related disease, so two generations of my family diedfrom that obnoxious place on Canal Road. Wish I was older and knew what I knew now.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

ArmleyLass47 wrote: I remember walking up Old Row as a kid. I used to walk up there and run past the asbestos factory and try not to breathe as Mum told us not to get any dust in our lungs. I remember there was a family who lived at the end of Old Row in the 1950's who used to go to the Clock school with no shoes as the family had no money. I think they were called Roberts but might be wrong. They used to eat dirt and worms as they were so hungry. Behind Old Row if I remember rightly, there was the Bamfords who lived in what used to be a stables and a Farriers. I remember I went to school with a Wendy Bamford. Anyone around there probably died from Asbestos as once it was let loose on the Canal Road it was a accident waiting to happen and I say this with knowledge having looked after my Mum who died of mesothelioma and neighbours who died. I also have done my Ancestry and found out from the 1911 census that my Grandma also died of Asbestos related disease, so two generations of my family diedfrom that obnoxious place on Canal Road. Wish I was older and knew what I knew now. I too lived in Armley and had some mates who lived on Lodge Rd.We would jump up and down on the bales of the stuff outside the loading bay not knowing how dangerous it was ! I've had lung cancer 5yrs ago but it was down to smoking not the asbestos,luckily!
ex-Armley lad