Lost stately homes

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

roundhegian wrote: cnosni wrote: Yes i know,its criminal,but as usual its all down to money.What about Knostrop Hall?Link to Leodishttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx resourceIdentifier=2004217_86722964The artist John Atkinson Grimshaw lived there from about 1870,and painted it many times himself (not decorated it) You have to remember that the world of the 1950s was totally different to that of today .The conservation movement did not exist in any broad sense , it was probably composed of a few score people . Throughout the United Kingdom in the 1940s and 1950s hundreds of buildings the size of Methley Hall were being demolished because there were not people around with sufficient money to live in and maintain them .Public money at both national and local level was still being used to restore the ravages of the war and provide new housing . There were greater priorities than restoring and maintaining houses such as Methley Hall .The vast majority of adults having lived through the austerity years of the 1930s and World War ll now for the first time had money to spend and spent it on consumer goods . Selfish perhaps but entirely understandable given their collective experience since 1930 . Methley Hall and its peers were neither relevent or important to huge swathes of people wishing to improve their overall standard of living .    Grimshaw is an artist I admire particularly his views of central LeedsBriggate and Leeds Bridge are two that come to mind . About a year ago I bought five Grimshaw prints at a very reasonable cost from the Central Art Gallery in Leeds and they continue to give pleasure . He is underrated in my view . A welcome dose of reality Rounhegian. Sad realities I suppose but also lessons learned for future generations. If you have a small finite budget and one hall is falling down and one two in need of minor restoration, I guess you take the sensible option of maintaining the two better ones.Saying that I can't recall any calls for Kirkstall abbey to be pulled down, well not since Henry VIII anyway.    
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Reginal Perrin wrote: roundhegian wrote: cnosni wrote: Yes i know,its criminal,but as usual its all down to money.What about Knostrop Hall?Link to Leodishttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx resourceIdentifier=2004217_86722964The artist John Atkinson Grimshaw lived there from about 1870,and painted it many times himself (not decorated it) You have to remember that the world of the 1950s was totally different to that of today .The conservation movement did not exist in any broad sense , it was probably composed of a few score people . Throughout the United Kingdom in the 1940s and 1950s hundreds of buildings the size of Methley Hall were being demolished because there were not people around with sufficient money to live in and maintain them .Public money at both national and local level was still being used to restore the ravages of the war and provide new housing . There were greater priorities than restoring and maintaining houses such as Methley Hall .The vast majority of adults having lived through the austerity years of the 1930s and World War ll now for the first time had money to spend and spent it on consumer goods . Selfish perhaps but entirely understandable given their collective experience since 1930 . Methley Hall and its peers were neither relevent or important to huge swathes of people wishing to improve their overall standard of living .    Grimshaw is an artist I admire particularly his views of central LeedsBriggate and Leeds Bridge are two that come to mind . About a year ago I bought five Grimshaw prints at a very reasonable cost from the Central Art Gallery in Leeds and they continue to give pleasure . He is underrated in my view . A welcome dose of reality Rounhegian. Sad realities I suppose but also lessons learned for future generations. If you have a small finite budget and one hall is falling down and one two in need of minor restoration, I guess you take the sensible option of maintaining the two better ones.Saying that I can't recall any calls for Kirkstall abbey to be pulled down, well not since Henry VIII anyway.     Let me add that I wish Methley Hall and all other now-demolished similar local buildings did still exist .I do sometimes think that English Heritage and local councils are too dogmatic in their view that the whole of the original building must be preserved or restored . Some compromise would often be helpfull I think . I would rather see 70 per cent of the original building than nothing at all .
roundhegian

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Cottingley Hall, on what is now the "Cottingley Hall" estate, as opposed to cotnly like most of us say. Also Beeston Old hall just off town street go past the white hart (away from the co-op) and it was on the right hand side down one of the famous Beeston "folds"

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

As previously mentioned - Beeston Hall (Thanks to Leodis)
Attachments
__TFMF_e1qjngzrtw0dts45fjxbcdag_4d323fc3-3a47-4f5d-b12f-333e0d5aa607_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_e1qjngzrtw0dts45fjxbcdag_4d323fc3-3a47-4f5d-b12f-333e0d5aa607_0_main.jpg (44.28 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

saw a map in Leeds central library today,19th century.It shows Knostrop old hall and Knostrop new hall.Unfortunately there are no nearby landmarks to give you an accurate position of the two,which were virtually next to each other.The best indication i can give is midway between Skelton Grange cottages,on Sewage works road and Knostrop rifle range.This is where Knostrop Lane meets sewage works road.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

jan8

Post by jan8 »

chameleon wrote: One of my pet gripes as I have expressed on here before is the almost criminal demise of so many marvellous buildings.'Listed' status being meaningless in the absence of funding to preserve a building. A fortune required to undertake any refurbishment to very strict guidlines - or simply let them collapse and vanish if money is not forthcoming! A strange philosophy.Still, can we add Austhorpe Hall to the list of 'once was' - home for a time to John Smeaton and the origin of the ornate staircase once relocated to the ailing Grange in Seacrfot Village, but now (thankfully) in storage somewhere. Chameleon, Austhorpe Hall is commonly sited as the home of John Smeaton, but this is not correct. Austhorpe Hall was built in 1694 by John More. John Smeaton lived at Smeaton Lodge (long since gone) which was further into the estate. ....You are quite right - I stand corrected - chameleon
Yorkshire born & bred. All opinions are my own !

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

cnosni wrote: saw a map in Leeds central library today,19th century.It shows Knostrop old hall and Knostrop new hall.Unfortunately there are no nearby landmarks to give you an accurate position of the two,which were virtually next to each other.The best indication i can give is midway between Skelton Grange cottages,on Sewage works road and Knostrop rifle range.This is where Knostrop Lane meets sewage works road. A couple of years back I traced the site of the old hall to the dead end of Long causeway.Just before that is a right turn down to the sewage works, but the few yards to the dead end a nd a large heap of rubble seemed to be the site of the old hall - done by matching my 1935 map of Leeds up which shows the hall with modern A-z's.I have a reprint of the book "The old kingdom of elemete" by Edmund Bogg. A must have for secret Leeders and peobably available to look at at your library.This was reprinted at the same time "The romance of old leeds" was re-printed which has some good old stuff in it - Red Hall in Leeds and Hunslet lane Theatre!!!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

The Parksider wrote: cnosni wrote: saw a map in Leeds central library today,19th century.It shows Knostrop old hall and Knostrop new hall.Unfortunately there are no nearby landmarks to give you an accurate position of the two,which were virtually next to each other.The best indication i can give is midway between Skelton Grange cottages,on Sewage works road and Knostrop rifle range.This is where Knostrop Lane meets sewage works road. A couple of years back I traced the site of the old hall to the dead end of Long causeway.Just before that is a right turn down to the sewage works, but the few yards to the dead end a nd a large heap of rubble seemed to be the site of the old hall - done by matching my 1935 map of Leeds up which shows the hall with modern A-z's.I have a reprint of the book "The old kingdom of elemete" by Edmund Bogg. A must have for secret Leeders and peobably available to look at at your library.This was reprinted at the same time "The romance of old leeds" was re-printed which has some good old stuff in it - Red Hall in Leeds and Hunslet lane Theatre!!! First off,went to Leeds Library Local studies/family history room again today and bought an excellent series of reproduced maps of Leeds,form the 18th century til now,£14.99 and really well worth it for those interested.Any way i sat down and compared the maps from the 19th century til 1947 and i can pretty much say that my original location for Knostrop old hall is wrong,it looks like it was situated on what is now Cross Green Garth,in the Industrial estate..Hopefully this link to multimap will workhttp://www.multimap.com/maps/?#t=l&map=53.7835 ... 1.51173:18||
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

No it does not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just copy and paste it ,see if it works.there was also a Knostrop New Hall a few hundred Yards away AND a Knostrop house just to the north.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Definitely needs a copy and paste as the vertical lines put kybosh on it however this should work <<<http://tinyurl.com/2j4egc>>>
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/