Lost stately homes

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: You're right, Cnosni. Gotta be a lot older. I'd say late 16th century/early 17th, at a guess. Could be even older. Some old timber framed buildings were sometimes re-clad with stone at a later date.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I have some information about Knostrop New Hall from a relative who lived there briefly as a child. This was when it had been partly split up and rooms were rented out around 1930. He says that at one time the eminent surgeon Lord Moynihan had lived there and there were rumours that in the permanently locked cellar there were operating tables. Apparently it was a beautiful old place with a magnificent entrance hall and stairway. The people who lived there [the main family] weren't snobbish and all the children played together. He was welcome in the main house at any time and often played on a wonderful rocking horse in the entrance hall. He says a narrow lane ran from the house to Skelton Grange and the sewage works, and that on that lane were six or seven houses known as the ABC houses since they were 'numbered' alphabetically.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: Reginal Perrin wrote: Wow. Where was that? Lower Aire Valley where Knostrop sewage farm is? There was a big stately place in Swillington too, demolished in 1950. http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL Im not sure where it was,there are a few comments to the picture on Leodis but as the location is given in reference to buildings which no longer exist then its hard to pinpoint it.Ive some Godfrey Maps but the areas i have skirt around it,i think i would need the Osmondthotpe and/or south Leeds.There are a good few images on Leodis of the interior of the hall,and look at some of the comments associated with the pictures.the one on the link has a contribtuion telling how the chap in the picture is probably Grimshaw himself,he did some cracking pictures. where can i get godfrey maps?????
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

woody

Post by woody »

Upon accessing the Secret Leeds Forum for the first time this month I was delighted to see how many contributors had shown an interest in Knostrop (Knostrop is a derivative of Knowsthorpe - which is from the Danish). I was born in the Knostrop 'Humbug House'in 1937 and my mother actually spent her childhood living in Knostrop Old Hall itself and she was an out pupil (six pence a week) to Mother Agnes's School (proper name St Saviour's Home)        My childhood was a golden age set in 1940s/50s Knostrop which was then a thriving community before the coming of the Cross Green Industrial Estate. Alas Knostrop has no inhabitants now! Our generation was the last, so I thought I had better write an account of the history of Knostrop and how it became our adventure playground in the 1940s. I entitled it: 'Who Will Remember Knostrop?' and sent the original draft to all my old playmates that I could manage to locate and many replied with their own memories and photographs to allow my to write an account which is part nostalgic and part scholarly (I hope). This book will never go into print but there is a copy lodged in the local history section of the Leeds Central Library in the Headrow, running to a hundred pages and forty odd maps and photos. I have tried to reproduce some of the pages here for Secret Leeds but I hope, as a 1937 model, you will please forgive me for not having the expertise to complete this task. Howenver I can pin point here, the structures that stand today on the ground where our grand houses and paradise plygrounds once stood - to act as a guide to anyone who might wish to get their bearings today.         If you stand in Knostrop Lane at the bottom of Cross Green Approach (which was formally a footpath we called 'Red Road - not to be confused with the red Halton Moor Road). Look down and diagonally across to your right - the high wall you can see is the remains of the boundary wall to Knostrop New Hall a brick built Georgian building. Some large trees just within the wall are all that remain. The New Hall was fronted by a lodge and the Hall itself situated approximately where now stands the mixer unit of the Lafgarge Company. The Humbug House was situated to the rear of the Hall where the Waste Care Company now stands. Now walk a further 100 yards down Knostrop Lane to the Bardon Concrete Company. Look up their drive to where you can see the gable end of a large, pale green, metal clad building - about 80 yards distant: that is the site of the 17th century, Knostrop Old Hall. St Saviour's Home (orpanage) was on the site where the Altenative window Company now stands, the pointed roof buiding and the square windowless building in front, plus a bit of wall is all that now remains. The stone built Georgian mansion, Knostrop House, was at the bottom south east corner of the Copperfields High School playing fields and will soon become part of the new East Leeds Link Road. Our paradise playground, 'Jaw Bone Yard' was where the Youngs Compny warehouse now stands and the iconic ABC Houses (Knostrop Terrace) has been absorbed by the bourgeoning sewage works. The oldesd Hall of all - Thorpe Stapleton Hall, 12th century, was beyond Skelton Grange Power Station. Now even the power station built only in the late forties has already gone too!        I would be only too happy to answer any questions concerning Knostrop to the best of my ability. 'Who Will Remember Knostrop? was a labour of love.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

i always wondered why my school,cross green,had an old stone wall around it,much older than the school.back in the late 70s,early 80s we would wonder all over the area,i remember a house on the water authority property,an old house,is it still there,what was it?....    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wiggy wrote: i always wondered why my school,cross green,had an old stone wall around it,much older than the school.back in the late 70s,early 80s we would wonder all over the area,i remember a house on the water authority property,an old house,is it still there,what was it?....     Was that during dinner time wiggy,when you got bored of trying to rip off the space invader machine downsatirs of the sandwich shop opposite the school?As for Godfrey maps heres a link pal.http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/acatal ... _area.html
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: i always wondered why my school,cross green,had an old stone wall around it,much older than the school.back in the late 70s,early 80s we would wonder all over the area,i remember a house on the water authority property,an old house,is it still there,what was it?....     Was that during dinner time wiggy,when you got bored of trying to rip off the space invader machine downsatirs of the sandwich shop opposite the school?As for Godfrey maps heres a link pal.http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/acatal ... _area.html ah! the memories flood back!

motleywill

Post by motleywill »

cnosni wrote: Inerestingly i can find nothing on Knostrop new hall on Leodis,there is however some pictures of Osmondthorpe Hall,of which i am going to TRY and attach to this message,as usual it will probably fail so look for the usual follow up message with a link.Any way im pretty sure that the wall immediately adjacent to the house on the left remains. Someone on Leodis has described the building as Georgian,but id say its older than that,look at those windows in the middle on the ground and first floor,perhaps the windows on the left of the building are newer repalcements or part of a later extension,but those in the middle seem to predate the stylle of the mid to late 18th century,what does any one think? I am looking for any information about Osmondthorpe Hall - I am just beginning my family History and it appears that James Motley (4xgt grandfather) lived there at the end of the eighteenth century. I know very little about my family in Leeds but have traced them back to about 1650. The pictures of the Hall linked from here look very gloomy but it is certainly older than Georgian and was once quite a substantial house. I am just starting my Leeds search so any help would be gratefully received!

liits

Post by liits »

[quotenick="jan8"][quotenick="chameleon"]One of my pet gripes as I have expressed on here before is the almost criminal demise of so many marvellous buildings.

Si

Post by Si »

That's just daft.