Asket Hall

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: Unless I am mistaken, the notation adjacent to the buildings we have identified as likey to be the Hall on your map LS1, reads 'Asket Hall' I'm sure it is not simply, Asket Hill. Yes there seems to be buildings on there.Asket hall was built in 1881 and the remaining building there carries a stone marked 1881 along with other ornately covered stones.Th gatehouse (which is asket lodge on north lane) drive and consequently bridge is not on the map. If the map is before 1881 it could be an older group of buildings.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

jeffn wrote: Parksider - Wiggy , which bridge are you on about, if you come down Dib Lane, past the shops, past where eastfileds used to be, turn right, there was a path running alongside the beck, and about 100metres down was a bridge, but not ornate . . I wonder if I know either of you two from my youth, I lived in Saket Gart, where did you two live?Jeff Yeh as LS1 deftly pointed out you were going the wrong way!!Up towards roundhay park!!If you lived in Saket gart, I lived in Bogard Hull dreeve!!!I was born in 1956 so we were knocking about the boggart Hills, the bulls field, dib lane, wyke beck etc etc from 1964 to 1972 when by then we were knocking about the town hall tavern, horse and trumpet, etc etc.I had a mate on Asket Drive and we played football in the maisonettes washing drying area. A guy called Ralph who was years older used to come out and play. He lived with his mum.Down there was the Newton Family who I mostly knew - they had three brothers at varying ages so you may know of them.We went to school at Asket hill.The maisonettes and the school have been knocked down.dunt it make yer feel old. I used to go down Hunslet with my dad and he's show me where his old homes, schools and works had been knocked down!!!!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

wiggy wrote: just looked on google,as i remember it,it was just off where the 70s houses on asket hill,opposite side to elmete way.it looked,as i remember like a run down flambards hall,big blocks of yorkshire stone and old urns strewn all over.i remember it having a kind of sunken garden or pond,where i and old school mate garry lister would get taddies. Yes - check the Leodis picture of what is (not) the gatehouse and you can see it on google earth running alongside Asket Hill.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Brandy wrote: i always used to wonder what that bridge was all about it seems to stick out as being to grand for the surroundings it also looks a bit Gothic in the way its constructed with the little arches running under-neath if i take the dogs down that way tomorrow il try and take a pic of it.     If you print off the picture of the Hall from Leodis and take that, then look up the hillside twoards your left as you stand on the bridge and compare what was with what is now!!!!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The Parksider wrote: LS1 wrote: [If you look on page three of the Burt book he states "part of the original boundary stil exitsts on the north east corner of the estate" the footnote says this is now on private land. Looking at the pic attached of the map on page 2 of the book you can see where wetherby road is, and the dotted line of the park boundary. Where i have put the red cross is roughly the modern junction of Easterly Road and Wetherby Road. Just here there is a big ditch almost parallel to Easterly Road, which appears to continue for a short way on the other side of Wetherby Road (which is on land part of Roundhay Grange Farm). If this is not part of the original ditch I wonder what it is. I realise now that the land burt mentions is near Red Hall (con't on next post).. Lovely old map.From Asket Hill bottom opposite Eastfield a stream joins wyke beck and it runs up to roundhay grange eventually.The land on the east side or easterly road side is significantly higher/steeper than the west side of the stream.About 20 yards on from Asket hill bottom I recall a stone arch bridge crossed the beck. It was narrow and only earth covered and deteriorating so we never walked across it - you could jump the beck easy enough.That old bridge fascinated me in the 60's as it went nowhere.The east side is steep all the way up to the more modern bridge and then to wetherby road. The stream goes under wetherby road into the private wood.can you pinpoint that ditch exactly?? Where is it in relation to the stream. How big does a ditch have to be before it keeps the deer in? Thanks again for the map.On it above low wood and the quarry is an old house "Ash Bank House" we lived in the estate and we used to creep through the creepy woods, through the creepy quarry and through some bushes into the back garden of the creepy house.As kids we had tales of bodies under the floor, and treasure found in droves there.I'd love to see a pic of it and know who lived there....... From your quote I would think that the ditch you mention that takes the stream parallel to Easterly Road up to Roundhay Grange is the same one that I am on about. Apparently a ditch for a deer park according to the Steven Burt book is 20' wide, - I must remember to go have a look up near Red Hall and see if I can see the original ditch that is mentioned there, and compare it with this one! It does seem likely though that the stream was prpbably used as the boundary due to it being a natural feature and presumably easier to use than cutting an entirely new ditch!Incedentally, the map I posted earlier is pre 1881. I think from memory it is 1850's - certainly has the lakes in the park on it.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

nearby,on the other side of easterly road is another big hall,made into flats(as usual)i think its called the grange,i would say its a regency building,and that maybe the doctors surgery at the bottom of dib lane is possibly a gate house...does anyone know anything about the grange???    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

i have found the grange,it's between fearnville close and fearnville drive,surrounded by trees,can anyone give an insight as to who owned it ...etc..    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

wiggy wrote: i have found the grange,it's between fearnville close and fearnville drive,surrounded by trees,can anyone give an insight as to who owned it ...etc..     I thought the Grange was pulled down and on the site Tetley's built a pug which they called the Grange. Then it shut.Exactly what does the building you saw look like - is it set off Dib Lane about 20 yards back???

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

Quote: If you lived in Saket gart, I lived in Bogard Hull dreeve!!!I was born in 1956 so we were knocking about the boggart Hills, the bulls field, dib lane, wyke beck etc etc from 1964 to 1972 when by then we were knocking about the town hall tavern, horse and trumpet, etc etc.I had a mate on Asket Drive and we played football in the maisonettes washing drying area. A guy called Ralph who was years older used to come out and play. He lived with his mum.Down there was the Newton Family who I mostly knew - they had three brothers at varying ages so you may know of them.We went to school at Asket hill.The maisonettes and the school have been knocked down.dunt it make yer feel old. I used to go down Hunslet with my dad and he's show me where his old homes, schools and works had been knocked down!!!! In which case I do know you, I also played football in the Maisonettes, remember Ralph ( mostly in goal, thought he was Lev Yashin !!! ) , and wo and behold, I am one of the 3 Newton brothers, I am Jeff, brother Jim lives here in Perth , Australia, where as the youngest , Dave, is still in Leeds I remember the old place up past the Grange, last time in Leeds, took a walk past there and asked my mam (rip) about it, but she couldn't throw any light on it.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

I do know you, I also played football in the Maisonettes, remember Ralph ( mostly in goal, thought he was Lev Yashin !!! ) , and lo and behold, I am one of the 3 Newton brothers, I am Jeff, brother Jim lives here in Perth , Australia, where as the youngest , Dave, is still in Leeds I remember the old place up past the Grange, last time in Leeds, took a walk past there and asked my mam (rip) about it, but she couldn't throw any light on it. Firstly Jeff was the "old place" seperate to the Tetley pub "The grange". There was (if you look on the 1851 OS map) a second "Old place" a big hall called fearnville. just past the Grange. The gateposts are still there....Anyway Jeff Newton - tis you!! Yes I recall the old days - I was once in your gang!! You did us some membership cards!!Ralph Brazelle as I recall him. He was a dustman I think, but he would always come out and play with the kids. He was a bit slow though. Martin Handley's mum (hey you remember) didn't like us playing with him but when you have a goalie you hang onto him!!We played with Bob heaton, Smithy (who worked as a drayman at Tetleys) and Greenly - remember them?? I think Denise townsley and Diane Corrie livbed round the corner to you?? Hey long term memory pretty good - short term - whay day is it anyone??I went to work at Tetleys when I was sixteen and your dave followed, so I knew him very well smashing lad. have been in the Grange with him!! I used to ask after you and he said you'd gone to Australia which was a bit of a relief as the threat of being pressganged again was removed!You know I don't consider myself that old, but when you walk down our streets of old and see they pulled all the maisonettes and flats down, pulled the shops down at the bottom of the Rein, even pulled asket hill school down you know time is marching on!!Oh yes your dad worked at Tetley's too so I knew him as well, very quiet, but with you three to contend with!!!! Really nice to hear from you mate...... Mick G.