Asket Hall

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

chameleon wrote: LS1 wrote: Sorry chamelion, getting late, not sure I understand your last post. I was refering to the other post by parksider about the boundary to Roundhay Park which i thought was down by Askett Hall. I misquoted Steven Burt thinking he refered to the ditch there but he was actually refering in his book about the history of the park, to a ditch on the north east boundary. Just so happens that there is a ditch near the red x I marked which i thought could also be part of said ditch! Yes it was late and I could have been more clear! Earlier in the thread we were trying to identify the location of Asket Hall on Asket Hill. Reading your post and looking at your map gave rise to my comment posted - I'm sure the notation next to buildings on Asket Hill (to the left of your marking) which we decided must be the Hall, seems to confirm this. Is the map from Steven Burt's book? I have managed to get a copy and spent this evening pouring through it - for the first time at least!Seeing the original map, the notation I hoped would say 'Hall' to further confirm findings, does actually say 'Hill'.Going back to the book.....!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

wiggy wrote: nearby,on the other side of easterly road is another big hall,made into flats(as usual)i think its called the grange,i would say its a regency building,and that maybe the doctors surgery at the bottom of dib lane is possibly a gate house...does anyone know anything about the grange???     We always thought the doctors surgery had been an gatehouse to The Grange, but it's called "The lodge" and although Grange Park Avenue runs from it, the 1851 ordanance survey shows no such old avenue going up to the Grange.That map (on old-maps) shows The Grange and fearnville as two big houses up Dib Lane, and Dib Lane is the entrance to both.The Grange is exactly where the pub is/was as they keep knocking the beggars down.Next time I pass I'll enjoy another good look around...

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: LS1 wrote: but i figure on the attached pic from Google Earth the ring road marks roughly the park boundary originally - could be wrong but I reakon the ditch may be in the red circle I have drawn. (Roundhay Grange is in the bottom left area the only building near the golf course)- incedentally does anyone know what that massive complex is with the entry on the rign road. Its huge and on the pic is just to the left of Red Hall. It's a council depot I think for streets and gardens etc and i think those are greenhouses where they do nursery plants. On my way to Red Hall today for the Leeds RL tickets for the world championship I passed a council van turning in there.... Indeed it is the home of Countryside, Parks and Gardens providing all the floral displays you see adorning our streets and parks and displays in public buildings. I did once have some figures for the number of plants produced per year and recall it was phenominal! Not confined to Leeds, they also supply other Authorities I believe.It used to be the case that they would open to the public once each season's planting was complete, and sell the excess stock of plants - at very competative prices.If, or should I say when, the A6120 relief road is built, it is likely to cut right through there - and doubtless bring with it more development of the area.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: I do know you, I also played football in the Maisonettes, remember Ralph ( mostly in goal, thought he was Lev Yashin !!! ) , and lo and behold, I am one of the 3 Newton brothers, I am Jeff, brother Jim lives here in Perth , Australia, where as the youngest , Dave, is still in Leeds I remember the old place up past the Grange, last time in Leeds, took a walk past there and asked my mam (rip) about it, but she couldn't throw any light on it. Firstly Jeff was the "old place" seperate to the Tetley pub "The grange". There was (if you look on the 1851 OS map) a second "Old place" a big hall called fearnville. just past the Grange. The gateposts are still there....Anyway Jeff Newton - tis you!! Yes I recall the old days - I was once in your gang!! You did us some membership cards!!Ralph Brazelle as I recall him. He was a dustman I think, but he would always come out and play with the kids. He was a bit slow though. Martin Handley's mum (hey you remember) didn't like us playing with him but when you have a goalie you hang onto him!!We played with Bob heaton, Smithy (who worked as a drayman at Tetleys) and Greenly - remember them?? I think Denise townsley and Diane Corrie livbed round the corner to you?? Hey long term memory pretty good - short term - whay day is it anyone??I went to work at Tetleys when I was sixteen and your dave followed, so I knew him very well smashing lad. have been in the Grange with him!! I used to ask after you and he said you'd gone to Australia which was a bit of a relief as the threat of being pressganged again was removed!You know I don't consider myself that old, but when you walk down our streets of old and see they pulled all the maisonettes and flats down, pulled the shops down at the bottom of the Rein, even pulled asket hill school down you know time is marching on!!Oh yes your dad worked at Tetley's too so I knew him as well, very quiet, but with you three to contend with!!!! Really nice to hear from you mate...... Mick G. You know, sometimes people are accused of using this site as a chat room, but I think a storey like this which integrates people with the history of an area can be just as valuable and provide a further insight to what our city was and is about. To be able to relate to threads on this personal level (and rediscover people from the past) and still contribute something worthwhile to the thread must be a good thing!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I agree chamelion. It helps to add to the more "Secret" parts of a district. Memories that will be lost forever unless they are noted down. Where abouts are the maisonettes you mention?Also the map I posted was from Stephen Burt's book. A cracking read, but there is also a book by John Morkhill writen about 100 years ago called "The History of the Manor and Park of Roundhay" (in the library and I think at the Becketts Park campus of Leeds Met) Which is even better but pretty hard going. Mentions Asket Hall and is I think what the majority of the Burt book is based on!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

The Parksider wrote: wiggy wrote: i have found the grange,it's between fearnville close and fearnville drive,surrounded by trees,can anyone give an insight as to who owned it ...etc..     I thought the Grange was pulled down and on the site Tetley's built a pug which they called the Grange. Then it shut.Exactly what does the building you saw look like - is it set off Dib Lane about 20 yards back??? its not been knocked down mate,it is still there,a picture of it was on yhe grange pub sign...but the building is still there.its further up dib lane and as the other chap says...so are the gate posts,on the right as you come down dib lane from oakwood lane.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

The Parksider wrote: wiggy wrote: i have found the grange,it's between fearnville close and fearnville drive,surrounded by trees,can anyone give an insight as to who owned it ...etc..     I thought the Grange was pulled down and on the site Tetley's built a pug which they called the Grange. Then it shut.Exactly what does the building you saw look like - is it set off Dib Lane about 20 yards back??? its not been knocked down mate,it is still there,a picture of it was on yhe grange pub sign...but the building is still there.its further up dib lane and as the other chap says...so are the gate posts,on the right as you come down dib lane from oakwood lane.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

wiggy wrote: The Parksider wrote: wiggy wrote: i have found the grange,it's between fearnville close and fearnville drive,surrounded by trees,can anyone give an insight as to who owned it ...etc..     I thought the Grange was pulled down and on the site Tetley's built a pug which they called the Grange. Then it shut.Exactly what does the building you saw look like - is it set off Dib Lane about 20 yards back??? its not been knocked down mate,it is still there,a picture of it was on yhe grange pub sign...but the building is still there.its further up dib lane and as the other chap says...so are the gate posts,on the right as you come down dib lane from oakwood lane. I lived in Red Lodge Close when they were built, just off Oakwood Lane and remember being amazed that such a building could exist there. It did look as though it was 'untouchable' and had everything else built around it. I may be wrong but it did have the look then of having become a number of flats.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

wiggy wrote: The Parksider wrote: wiggy wrote: i have found the grange,it's between fearnville close and fearnville drive,surrounded by trees,can anyone give an insight as to who owned it ...etc..     I thought the Grange was pulled down and on the site Tetley's built a pug which they called the Grange. Then it shut.Exactly what does the building you saw look like - is it set off Dib Lane about 20 yards back??? its not been knocked down mate,it is still there,a picture of it was on yhe grange pub sign...but the building is still there.its further up dib lane and as the other chap says...so are the gate posts,on the right as you come down dib lane from oakwood lane. Oh my Giddy Aunt Wiggy!!!!All these years i have lived under a serous misconception.I'm due in Wetherby tommorrow.They'll have to wait whilst I do a little field visit.ta......

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

wiggy wrote: The Parksider wrote: wiggy wrote: i have found the grange,it's between fearnville close and fearnville drive,surrounded by trees,can anyone give an insight as to who owned it ...etc..     its not been knocked down mate,it is still there,a picture of it was on yhe grange pub sign...but the building is still there.its further up dib lane and as the other chap says...so are the gate posts,on the right as you come down dib lane from oakwood lane. Wiggy!!!! My dear chap! How could I ever have doubted you?All my miserable life I believed the Grange had been knocked down and on the site they built the Grange pub.But alas, Intrepid explorer Wiggy, tis still there. And it's not exactly hidden for on my field trip today I found the gateposts (hey I still have enough nouse to be able to confirm they are for another definately knocked down big house "Fearnville")And then a few yards on between two Leeds corporation council houses I saw it for the first time when I had passed it a thousand times before!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE GRANGEI had a walk around and I had in my head roundhegian's summary of why these sort of houses are long gone, derelict or converted - purely economical.Then I had a realisation of something. You ask "who owned it" as though it must be someone special it being so grand and all.For a long time something never added up to me. We, Britain, had an empire and we raped and pillaged the hell out of half the world and became the richest and most powerful nation on earth.When the empire was at it's height my family came to Leeds to live in Tender Street, Peel Street, Hood Street, haymount Buildings.Slums and hovels where you never had two pennies to rub together.How therefore was this country so rich when my family was so poor?Thousands of people who took those dodgy highly immoral profits all for their selfish selves and built themselves places like "The Grange".Next time anyone is in Huddersfield go via the Halifax Road and you will see a whole estate full of "The Granges".I don't think anyone special lived at "The Grange" Wigs, probably someone quite the opposite......