Unknown(ToMe)ShortPassageOffMillHillLeeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Unknown(ToMe)ShortPassageOffMillHillLeeds.

Post by Leodian »

Walking along Mill Hill, Leeds, yesterday (November 22 2022) a door was open and beyond it was a short passage that I never knew existed. It was seen to quickly lead to a small open area, though I did not enter. That and the passage seemed to be used to store items. On looking at a few large scale maps (some from the earlyish 1900s) the open area is shown but there is no way through. I've added the two photos that I took. The first is a view along the short passage and the second shows its location beyond the wheelie bin on Mill Hill.
ShortPassageToOpenAreaOffMillHillLeedsNov222022..jpg
ShortPassageToOpenAreaOffMillHillLeedsNov222022..jpg (125.61 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
ShortPassageBeyondWheelieBinOnMillHillLeedsNov222022..jpg
ShortPassageBeyondWheelieBinOnMillHillLeedsNov222022..jpg (148.34 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Re: Unknown(ToMe)ShortPassageOffMillHillLeeds.

Post by warringtonrhino »

The orange area is open to the sky the green area is not ,so it is grey on the map giving the appearance that it is not 'open'
Attachments
mill hill.jpg
mill hill.jpg (123.27 KiB) Viewed 1607 times

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The 1886 insurance map calls it Bowers court. It is not named in the 1888 directory, but is included as no 6 Mill Hill, with a drysalter in the front , and a glass bottle manufacturer, together with another firm which was an agent for their bottles and also for glass tumblers, in the court behind. Not sure whoWower was , but there is also Bower's Yard, where the Whip pub was along Briggate.
insurance map 1886 showing bowers Court, off mill lane.jpg
insurance map 1886 showing bowers Court, off mill lane.jpg (266.33 KiB) Viewed 1598 times

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Joshua Bower was a glass manufacturer
He lived in Hunslet where there is a Bower's Street and Bower's Court
He had works in Briggate and Mill Hill, there was a Bower's Court in both of these locations

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks warringtonrhino and chemimike for your help and information which is appreciated. :)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.