Hunslet Retail Park, Anchor Street - Where was/is it?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
WiggyDiggy

Hunslet Retail Park, Anchor Street - Where was/is it?

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Just looking for a little help locating 'Anchor Street' in Hunslet.

For mundane reasons I'm trying to locate where this is/was in 2008 as I found an old receipt in box I have from a Blockbuster labelled as 'Anchor Street' from December 2008. A bit of digging gives me a full address of Hunslet Retail Park, ANCHOR STREET, Leeds LS10 2AP. But is 'Hunslet Retail Park' that what is now called the Penny Hill Centre? The postcode takes me there, but also searching for 'Hunslet Retail Park' on Leodis gives me images of Crown Point Retail Park.

Little mystery if anyone can help thanks ;)

uncle mick

Re: Hunslet Retail Park, Anchor Street - Where was/is it?

Post by uncle mick »

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Looks like it was off Church Street, Hunslet. Roughly following where The Oval is these days.

Apologies, I haven't access to the old maps at present but it would make sense it being there given there are shops in the vicinity.

EDIT: Uncle Mick posted in the meantime :lol:

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Blockbuster is now Iceland. From 2008: https://goo.gl/maps/TMzobUb5LBdGgtKA6

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Ah thanks very much @uncle Mick, @LS1 and @mhoulden, very useful. Think I'm going lose several hours on that map later!

Do you mind sharing how you found Anchor Street on the older map? I'd found several pictures but couldn't place where it was. Did you search on that map site or is it literally finding it's rough location on the side by side and then reading the street names?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Anchor Street is opposite the Hunslet Parish Church and runs up past Morrisons

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... =ESRIWorld
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

WiggyDiggy wrote:
Thu 31 Mar, 2022 3:17 pm
Ah thanks very much @uncle Mick, @LS1 and @mhoulden, very useful. Think I'm going lose several hours on that map later!

Do you mind sharing how you found Anchor Street on the older map? I'd found several pictures but couldn't place where it was. Did you search on that map site or is it literally finding it's rough location on the side by side and then reading the street names?
When searching the side by side maps you have to use a modern street name ie Oval Leeds

jma

Post by jma »

This brings back some memories of my earliest days in the police. "Penny Hill" isn't shown on old maps but a colleague "showing me round" warned me that one inspector in particular liked to tell new PCs to meet him there, and then tell them off for a lack of local knowledge if his stupid game worked. Perhaps Leeds City Council formalised the name in this redevelopment in memory of 'Oss 'Anson. And my thanks to PC 146 John Young for his kind help with things like that fifty five years ago

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

uncle mick wrote:
Thu 31 Mar, 2022 6:32 pm
When searching the side by side maps you have to use a modern street name ie Oval Leeds
Makes sense thanks 8-)