David Oluwale Bridge over the River Aire, Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

David Oluwale Bridge over the River Aire, Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

The 'David Oluwale Bridge' connecting the Sovereign Street and Water Lane areas was placed over the River Aire, Leeds, in the weekend of March 26/27 2022 and is expected to be open for use in the summer. The bridge is a memorial to David who died in the river in 1969 in a racially-motivated incident. There are images on the web of the bridge but I have attached 3 that I took on March 29 2022 as they are show some other views. It was however not easy to get perhaps better views due to access problems.
Photo 1 shows an upriver view of the bridge taken from Leeds Bridge. The very tall Bridgewater Place is in the rear.
Photo 2 shows a downriver view from the Water Lane area near the ASDA offices. Leeds Bridge is in the rear.
Photo 3 shows a downriver view from the Sovereign Street side of the river.
DavidOluwaleBridgeFromLeedsBridgeMar292022..jpg
DavidOluwaleBridgeFromLeedsBridgeMar292022..jpg (125.12 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
DavidOluwaleBridgeFromWaterLaneSideMar292022..jpg
DavidOluwaleBridgeFromWaterLaneSideMar292022..jpg (153.76 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
DavidOluwaleBridgeFromSovereignStreetSideMar292022..jpg
DavidOluwaleBridgeFromSovereignStreetSideMar292022..jpg (115.36 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jann

Re: David Oluwale Bridge over the River Aire, Leeds.

Post by Jann »

I saw on tv last night a blue plaque had been put on Leeds Bridge in memory of David Oluwale but it was removed by vandals the same evening and now police are investigating the matter

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jann wrote:
Tue 26 Apr, 2022 3:03 pm
I saw on tv last night a blue plaque had been put on Leeds Bridge in memory of David Oluwale but it was removed by vandals the same evening and now police are investigating the matter
It's very sad. I would not have been surprised if it had been defaced but to remove it (and so soon after installation) was unexpected. It is said to be the only Blue Plaque to have been taken like this so it seems likely that they have little scrap value. I assume they are metal as it is reported that volunteers using a boat trawling a magnet was used, but if the plaque was thrown in the river it was not detected but a a grenade was caught!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Knowing that such thieving scum exist I'm surprised that the plaque was placed at such a low level and equally perturbed that the police are treating this as a hate crime at such an early stage because until the person(s) involved are caught,charged and proven beyond all doubt of being guilty of such a thing then at the moment I would opine that theft and perhaps criminal damage are the only things that can be attributed to this act unless there is actual evidence in the force's possession stating otherwise and perhaps the press also shouldn't be so quick to jump on that same racial aspect which can only fan the flames of discord, but no doubt makes good copy.

Again only my opinion.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Why did they not fix it with none removable screws it looks like they just screwed it off the wall if so they must have come with a screw driver to me that suggests forward thinking.When i saw them unveil it on tv the screws look like cross headed screws very easy to remove thats my thoughts on the matter.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Now they have broken the temporary replacement what is wrong with folk.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

The plaque should have been fixed 10 foot from the bridge and over the water, on a end of a slippery pole.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

A few yards south is a plaque for Louis Le Prince, twenty feet up in the air, and I cannot believe that it never crossed anyone's minds that something so historically valuable/relevant as this new plaque wouldn't get lifted if not affixed at a similar height regardless of the argument that it should be allowed to be placed lower down unhindered.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I agree with you Fred what is wrong with people, its the same with destroying statues you cant reverse history you learn from it.There are some small minded people about we have to live with them mores the pity.

jma

Post by jma »

There's further news here
David Oluwale memorial plaque: Arrests over theft
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-61376572