Evening Post Offices before Wellington Street

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jma

Re: Evening Post Offices before Wellington Street

Post by jma »

I remember the Yorkshire Evening News, but not very well. I see there are Leodis images whose comments say the company was in Trinity Street

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/63806

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/63808

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

From Leodis
9th May 1930 On the left, number 22 The Ostlers Arms, premises of Mrs Mary Ann Best. Hanging sign details smoke room, home brewed beer and light refreshments. At number 23 were George Rushtons Dining Rooms. Number 24 had various businesses or agencies operating from there, including Marshall Brothers carriers and P. Thomson shipping agent. Number 25 also had multi-occupancy, James H. Thompson engraver, Arthur Myers printers and the Atlas Express company. Number 26/27 was Ross and company Leeds Ltd oil, paint and colour merchants. The spire of Trinity Church can be seen. To the right, Evening News newspaper and publishing company numbers 13 to 17 offices of Yorkshire
Attachments
Trinity Street 1930.jpg
Trinity Street 1930.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Trinity Street 1964.jpg
Trinity Street 1964.jpg (519.26 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Map showing relationship between the Yorkshire Post (Green) and the Evening News (Yellow)
Attachments
Yorks Post & Y Evening News.jpg
Yorks Post & Y Evening News.jpg (436.24 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Thanks for the clarification jma & buffaloskinner.
I had an uncle who worked for the Evening News and only have a vague recollection of being shown where he worked.
I don't know how Leeds could support 2 competing local evening papers for as long as it did. YEP was clearly the bigger fish.
We only ever bought the YEP. I would sometimes be sent out to buy the pink edition on Saturday , for the footy results.

I found this online about the Golden Age of the Pink & the Green in Leeds

"There was a time when Saturday night would not have been Saturday night without the pink 'un, the green 'un, the buff 'un or even the white 'un: the late evening special edition which told you how your team had got on. Leeds in my youth had a choice of two - the Evening Post (buff) and the Evening News (green).

In the Post, match reports of Leeds rugby league, which was covered by "Little John", often took precedence over those of second division Leeds United, written by somebody calling himself "Will Watch" - presumably one of Robin Hood's lesser-known merry men. When Will Watch retired, his successor insisted on using his own name, Phil Brown, instead of a pseudonym; at which point "Little John" emerged as John Bapty. This explained why he'd been getting more space than Will Watch: he was the Post's sports editor.

Though the Post outsold the News every evening, the News did better on Saturday nights, which was why in the early 60s the Post sneakily changed to green. With two green 'uns to choose from, the punters began to switch. In 1963 the News shut down, taking its green 'un down with it. Since then, the rise of local radio, the blanket coverage of league games on regional TV as early as half-past-five on a Saturday in big centres like Manchester, and the break with the once standard practice of having all matches kick off at three on a Saturday, have all hurt the football editions. What on earth can you do when the big match kicks off at 5.30?

The Yorkshire Evening Post gave up long ago."

Extract from https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2004/ ... hing.media
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!