Old Chest Clinic by Vicar Lane/New Briggate.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Old Chest Clinic by Vicar Lane/New Briggate.

Post by Leodian »

I would be grateful if someone could say when the old Chest Clinic on Vicar Lane/New Briggate closed as I've not been able to readily find out. It has been used by Richer Sounds for several years now.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Re: Old Chest Clinic by Vicar Lane/New Briggate.

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
30 September 2016 ·
Friday Flashback: The old Chest Clinic.
Many staff and patients will remember the former Leeds Chest Clinic, which for over 130 years was housed in a rather distinguished looking stand-alone building on the corner of Vicar Lane and New Briggate.
The property was built in 1865 as the Leeds Public Dispensary, so just pre-dated the oldest parts of Leeds General Infirmary, and was prompted by the same Victorian desire to improve the then dire state of public health in the rapidly-growing city.
Designed in an Italian style, it features an entrance flanked by Corinthian columns and distinctive urns on the roof. Leeds-born architect William Hill was responsible for the design as well as for many other notable public buildings including churches and town halls in Yorkshire and beyond.
In the 1990s, the Chest Clinic was taken over by one of the predecessors of LTHT, and it increasingly became evident that the building, although an architectural gem, was not very suitable for modern health care.
In around 2008 services moved from there to a new home at Leeds General Infirmary, and a couple of years later the building was sold for commercial use to its current owners.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks buffaloskinner for your very informative help which is appreciated as I would have guessed it closed earlier than that.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jma

Post by jma »

I was X-rayed there twice when I was referred by my GP checking for asbestos. (I lived in the Armley asbestos houses for my first decade.) The second referral would have been in 2004. I also bought something from Richer Sounds around 2014

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

jma wrote:
Sun 19 Dec, 2021 8:47 am
I was X-rayed there twice when I was referred by my GP checking for asbestos. (I lived in the Armley asbestos houses for my first decade.) The second referral would have been in 2004. I also bought something from Richer Sounds around 2014
Beaten to it . The earliest appearance on Google Street View is August 2014 when it was Richer Sounds. I also had a couple of x-rays there but probably around 1980. The first was because of a false positive on a Heath test which I was given from being a close contact of TB. The second was a worrying shadow, they never did get to the bottom of in the first x-ray that they did establish was definitely not a sign of TB. I also underwent a series of airway checks including peak flow.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/