The Electric Press Building

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
tyke bhoy

Re: The Electric Press Building

Post by tyke bhoy »

blackprince wrote:
Thu 22 Apr, 2021 7:27 pm

They were probably working by gaslight and specsavers hadn't been invented.
Agreed but it is not a good advert for a Printing business that would be dependent on getting the text spot on.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jma

Post by jma »

I don't like to seem picky, especially over something from so long ago, but it did show I was reading what uncle mick had taken the trouble to link. It does show how hard checking your own text can be and it's the sort of mistake I'd make, caused by thinking ahead: age and wages in this case.

All fascinating stuff about life in the past.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Re- typographical errors from the past, I regularly read the news columns from 100 years ago which are reprinted in the Telegraph each day.
They often contain funny typos (both funny peculiar and funny ha-ha) which would never have got past the sub-editors back then. I strongly suspect that the original 100 year old printed text is scanned and then passed through optical character recognition software, before reprinting. OCR is notorious for introducing random typos, which the Telegraph are not editing out, before printing. That's progress for you! Always better to read the original scanned image, as Uncle Mick's the example above.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!