Building the Schofields Centre

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I remember Schofields being rebuilt on the site of the Theatre Royal, but I don't think that this was the Schofields Centre. It ahd a cafe on the top floor called the Cafe Royal in honour of the theatre. I remember one of the Schofields' buildings having a non stop lift for the staff - I believe they are called Paternosters - anyone else?
Industria Omnia Vincit

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Trojan wrote: I remember Schofields being rebuilt on the site of the Theatre Royal, but I don't think that this was the Schofields Centre. It ahd a cafe on the top floor called the Cafe Royal in honour of the theatre. I remember one of the Schofields' buildings having a non stop lift for the staff - I believe they are called Paternosters - anyone else? Is that the one with boxes you walked into as they passed by, going continuously round in a circle?There was one of these in the Uni Maths building - convinced it must turn upside down at the top we had to try it of course - boringly that didn't happen! Dread to think what HSE would make of them these days - probably close down the entire building!!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

chameleon wrote: Trojan wrote: I remember Schofields being rebuilt on the site of the Theatre Royal, but I don't think that this was the Schofields Centre. It ahd a cafe on the top floor called the Cafe Royal in honour of the theatre. I remember one of the Schofields' buildings having a non stop lift for the staff - I believe they are called Paternosters - anyone else? Is that the one with boxes you walked into as they passed by, going continuously round in a circle?There was one of these in the Uni Maths building - convinced it must turn upside down at the top we had to try it of course - boringly that didn't happen! Dread to think what HSE would make of them these days - probably close down the entire building!! Yes I always wanted a go but they were for the staff.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Trojan wrote: I remember Schofields being rebuilt on the site of the Theatre Royal, but I don't think that this was the Schofields Centre. It ahd a cafe on the top floor called the Cafe Royal in honour of the theatre. I remember one of the Schofields' buildings having a non stop lift for the staff - I believe they are called Paternosters - anyone else? We had them in the Chemistry block At (Salford) Uni. Despite being a novelty they moved quite slowly and were boring basically. As I understand it if you went over the top you didn't get turned upside down but the chain they were suspended from was exposed at the front of the car within 1.5" of the passengers. They wouldn't pass elfen safety requirements nowadays.As far as I know we had only one injury accident when a contractor tried to take a ladder into a car with him.They were also unsuitable for a Uni application because although a 10 storey building might have 22 cars each one only held 4 persons so if 220 people exited a lecture hall on the 9th floor in 15 seconds flat at5-00pm a lot of congestion and waiting occurred on the landings.They worked better if the loading was distributed randomly between the floors at random times.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

slw

Post by slw »

Quote "Is that the one with boxes you walked into as they passed by, going continuously round in a circle?There was one of these in the Uni Maths building - convinced it must turn upside down at the top we had to try it of course - boringly that didn't happen! Dread to think what HSE would make of them these days - probably close down the entire building!! "My aunt used to work at the uni and took me on the lift when I was quite young. I thought it was great but my younger brother was not impressed and could not wait to get off !!