Red-clad building

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jma

Red-clad building

Post by jma »

Does anybody know anything about a building - possibly in Headingley - fairly recently built with some sort of red cladding?

I live at Gildersome with a panoramic view of Leeds. On a sunny morning, when the Sun is still fairly low in the sky, there''s a building - possibly two - which reflects the Sun and appears a bright metallic ruby colour. By now - mid-morning - it's still visible but not so prominent. I presume it's fairly recently built because in the right conditions it's impossible to miss and I've not noticed it before. I would have to admit that we spend less time admiring the view than we did as newcomers in 1975.

It's in the direction of Headingley and it looks to be to the west - left as I look at it - of the main Carnegie building, but it's harder to be confident of distance as opposed to direction. I've had a look at some images online but I've not seen anything that looks like what I'm talking about.

Jan B

Re: Red-clad building

Post by Jan B »

Hi jma the building is Broadcasting tower at broadcasting place Woodhouse no Headingly it's student flats plus arts facilities and technology to do with Leeds Becket to university. It was named best tall building of the year 2010. The material is made to go rust red via weather conditions I believe. Have gone past it many a time it's quite impressive to see close up !

Jan B

Post by Jan B »

Hi again for got to mention if you search Broadcasting Tower Leeds on the Wikipedia site there is a photo and more information on this amazing looking structure . Hopefully this is of help.

jma

Post by jma »

Jan B

Thanks for that. Great stuff. From looking at wiki, I've not been so observant as I thought for the last decade:
In June 2010, Broadcasting Place was the recipient of the 2010 Best Tall Building in the World award by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcasting_Tower,_Leeds

Jan B

Post by Jan B »

Glad to be of help ! If you get chance do and go see the building !

jma

Post by jma »

I can see it now, or I can in daylight. Joking aside, when the lockdown restrictions are eased, I'll go and have a closer look, which I'm sure is what you meant. At least, I now know which way to head, rather than aimlessly blundering about Headingley, so thanks again.

jma

Post by jma »

In good sunlight this cold and frosty morning I've dug out my birding telescope and tripod. With it, I can clearly see the Broadcasting Place tower near the city centre and it's not the building I was querying. It does look smart and the red exterior is much more muted than the bright, metallic colour of what I was querying.

I'm now pretty sure this is something on the Beckett Park campus to the left of what I think of as the original Carnegie building and with Lawnswood School further behind when viewed from Gildersome. Unfortunately, the streetview images of the area date from 2008 and in any case, the google car didn't access what I'm interested in. Perhaps there was nothing there when it was in the area.

Anyway, Broadcasting Place is added to my local knowledge

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The red you can see is the end of an indoor running track in the new Carnegie School of Sport building. It's taken a couple of years to build and has only just been handed over to LBU by the developers

https://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/developm ... -building/
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jma

Post by jma »

tyke bhoy

Thanks for that. That square-shaped feature on the roof with red facing on the inner surfaces is one of the things I've been looking at. Initially, all I could see of it was a bright red triangle and only in sunshine and at certain times of the day. Having made the effort to dig out my scope, I now realise that the left-hand (when looking at it) inner surface, only catches the sunlight mid-morning and even then, it's partially shaded by the part across the top.

This has definitely located what I'm looking at and seems to explain why I've only just noticed it. The most visible feature is either one, or two closely-placed, blocks to the right (when looking at it) of the building in that image. In sunlight, it really is prominent: imagine the bright red metallic baubles that used to go on Christmas trees.

Before I started this thread I did google, but the images I turned up didn't help.

Thanks again. Niggling curiosity satisfied.

Helped by the right starting point, I've found this image which may be part of what I've been looking at

https://sotech-optima.co.uk/wp-content/ ... reen-4.jpg

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

jma wrote:
Thu 11 Feb, 2021 2:39 pm
and seems to explain why I've only just noticed it.
Not quite the 10 years that you thought you'd been missing when you initially thought it was Broadcasting Place but the red running track part was in place for several months before lockdown last March. Until then I walked almost under it most Wednesday nights when crossing the running track on the way to play football. Most of last year's (2020) building work was finishing some of the cladding, making good the landscaping and other surrounds to the building, including paving, and fitting out the interior shell.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/