Red-clad building

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
blackprince

Re: Red-clad building

Post by blackprince »

Hi,
Just trying to get my bearings on the photo with the wind turbine.
If the red roofed development is in Farnley am I right in thinking that the tower blocks just to the right of the turbine are Poplar Mount & Court?
What are the tower blocks near the right hand edge of the picture?
Is the horizontal line below the tower blocks the embankment of the Leeds - Bradford railway line?
Cheers,
BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

jma

Post by jma »

I thought there was a post on this thread from tyke bhoy explaining my line of sight but I must be imagining it. [I'm not dreaming. I've just remembered he sent me a very helpful PM.]

The turbine is a smaller one than you associate with windfarms and it's in the Green Belt to the south of the ring road. The long, low building behind it is some sort of agricultural building.

Here it is on google earth.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.77355 ... a=!3m1!1e3

It's almost due North from the back of my house in Gildersome.

Continuing further north from the turbine, here's the building site as identified by tyke bhoy. The dark patch in the middle is the mill pond

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.79193 ... a=!3m1!1e3

The prominent white buildings in my first picture are what used to be the new West Leeds School. It has a new name now. the original West Leeds School is there but less conspicuous. I'd have to check a map to get the names of all the bocks of flats correct.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

blackprince wrote:
Mon 21 Jun, 2021 5:17 pm
Hi,
Just trying to get my bearings on the photo with the wind turbine.
If the red roofed development is in Farnley am I right in thinking that the tower blocks just to the right of the turbine are Poplar Mount & Court?
What are the tower blocks near the right hand edge of the picture?
Is the horizontal line below the tower blocks the embankment of the Leeds - Bradford railway line?
Cheers,
BP
Believe it or not I think the square tower blocks to the right are Queenswood Heights and Court in Headingley and I think the eponymous red clad building is partly visible to the far left. If correct then the more central tower blocks would have to be Grayson Heights and Crest off Eden Mount in Burley/Kirkstall. As JMA mentions although very dark and therefore camouflaged by the trees the old West Leeds Boys, on Whingate, is visible "just" behind the turbine, now appartments called "Old School Lofts". It appears to be in front of the line you mention so I'd assume that is the tree line on the Ridge at the top of Gotts Park (Armley Ridge/Stanningley Roads)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jma

Post by jma »

It's a lot easier to be confident of direction rather than distance and the greater the magnification used to work out detail, the harder it is to estimate distance.

Going back to my opening post, I was reasonably confident I was looking at the original Carnegie buildings because of their distinctive appearance and being in the right direction. Some buildings are easily identified: looking out of the other bedroom window, the square tower of Christ Church on Armley Ridge Road is unmistakable. Tower blocks take a bit more thought.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Thanks for the orientation jma and Tyke bhoy.

Incidentally, West Leeds High school has been renamed twice in the last 15 years or so; firstly Swallow Hill College and more recently Dixons Unity Academy.
BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

jma

Post by jma »

Just by way of an update, the red roofs I could see and queried above - and more besides - have now been completed and have the muted appearance of the impression in tyke bhoy's link. I'm no roofer and I've not been down there to look but it may be that the bright red is temporary protection when the roof timbers are in place but not yet roofed. It looks as though they are removed before the tiles go on, rather than the tiles going on top. Work continues on the development.

I'd not have noticed much of this had it not been bright red.

jma

Post by jma »

Now that the Sun is low in the morning again, the red-clad building stands out every sunny morning. Driving down Dewsbury Road this morning, I noticed its sideview on the high horizon with the Sun directly behind me and it was very prominent. No picture because I had no opportunity to stop but in the right conditions, this looks impressive.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I'm struggling to work out where on Dewsbury Road you would see this from. I can only imagine Tingley "Crossroads" down to Wide Lane/Middleton Road or perhaps the now gone new police station down to the, still there, old one. Anywhere else and the hill that much of Beeston sits on would obscure the direct view
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jma

Post by jma »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Tue 12 Oct, 2021 4:47 pm
I'm struggling to work out where on Dewsbury Road you would see this from. I can only imagine Tingley "Crossroads" down to Wide Lane/Middleton Road or perhaps the now gone new police station down to the, still there, old one. Anywhere else and the hill that much of Beeston sits on would obscure the direct view
Sorry. Should have been more explicit. I drove down Wide Lane, turned left at the roundabout heading for Sainsburys at the White Rose and the red building was straight ahead. I'll get my camera ready and if the sunshine is right next Monday, I'll stop and take a picture. In the meantime, here's a streetview, but with the sunshine from the left.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.74784 ... 384!8i8192

Embarrassing story about Wide Lane and me:-

Around 1968, when I was a newly-qualified panda car driver at Dewsbury Road (on the corner of Hunslet Hall Road) a colleague who lived in Worrall Street Morley slept in on early turn and I was sent to knock him up. (Fewer phones in those days.) As I had no idea where I was going - Leeds' boundary was at the Woodman Inn, I was told to turn right at the sign for Morley and carry straight on "you can't miss it on the right." After driving for what seemed like forever I came to a newsagent's which was open and the conversation went something like this

- This may sound silly, but I'm from Dewsbury Road Police Station and I'm looking for an address in Morley.
- If you are from Dewsbury Road you must have heard of Dewsbury and it's just down the hill.

I was in Shaw Cross and the Morley sign had blown down. :oops:

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »