An old museum very close to Adel Parish Church.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

An old museum very close to Adel Parish Church.

Post by Leodian »

I’ve noticed on an 1893 map in the Old-Maps UK website a small building labelled ‘Museum’ very close to the church of St. John the Baptist (more commonly known as Adel Parish Church). The ‘Museum’ is on Church Lane on the opposite side to the church grounds at their nearest to Adel end. The building is still shown, but not labelled, on maps up to and including one dated 1953 but it is not shown on a 1975/1979 1:1,250 map (it was unclear if it was or was not there on a 1968 1:10,560 map). There seems to be something there in an 1851 1:10,560 map but it is hard to tell if it was or was not the building.

I’ve been unable to readily find any information on the ‘Museum’, so I wonder if anyone knows anything. Any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by Leodian on Mon 11 Jan, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Parkie

Re: An old museum very close to Adel Parish Church.

Post by Parkie »

It's not there anymore but it will have housed stuff displaying the history of adel. I have the history booklets produced......

Horsforth Museum is well and truly there at the bottom of Town Street, well worth a visit and a pint afterwards....

And NO I don't think you pay by putting money in a slot in the brickwork!! It's free......Enjoy...

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I think you mean in a few (or more) months time

tilly

Post by tilly »

I should think the museum would have displayed Roman finds from the Roman Camp on Black Moor this was sited not very far from Adel Church.If my memory serves me right there used to be Roman stone fragments in the church grounds found in the area.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.