A slot in the wall of an outhouse by the track off Back Church Lane to Adel Church.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Parkie

Re: A slot in the wall of an outhouse by the track off Back Church Lane to Adel Church.

Post by Parkie »

Leodian wrote:
Mon 04 Jan, 2021 9:00 pm

In your first post on Jan 04 2021 you mention a quarry that I think has to be the one with the often queried mysterious bunker! I understand that it was built as the possibility of World War 2 was coming ever likely and was intended to store important documents of such as Leeds City Council and the then Leeds Permanent Building Society. I understand however that severe damp quickly caused problems and the site was not used for such storage. I did wonder when the quarry was first worked and found there is no mention on a 1:2,500 1893 map but the quarry is labelled in a 1908 1:2,500 map. I don't know when quarrying stopped.
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 423_166590 This is the mysterious Bunker in the woods.....

The Adel Quarry north of stairfoot lane also has a concrete bunker free standing that may well have stored tools and equipment and who knows maybe something to blast the rock!