Festival Foods Ltd

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Lookatleeds

Festival Foods Ltd

Post by Lookatleeds »

Ey up folks. I'm a long time lurker of this site but a fairly new member. I was just looking for some info on the old Festival Foods Ltd. building on Osmondthorpe Lane. I go by it every day on my way to work and it has peaked my interest!
I apologise if it's been covered before, and if so, feel free to direct me to any appropriate links.
From what I have found, it had something to do with the Leeds Cooperative Industrial Society. I'm sure the great minds of Secret Leeds can tell me more!
My main questions include:
When was it built?
What has it been used for in the past?
Are there any plans for it?

Thanks in advance.
-Josh.

Leodian

Re: Festival Foods Ltd

Post by Leodian »

Hi Lookatleeds :).

I don't know when it was built but it is old. Into what must have at least been the early 1950s it was a laundry of Leeds Industrial Cooperative Society (LICS). People used to take in washing (the Bag Wash) which my mum used to do (I think she even worked there for a short while). I don't now recall much of its inside but it looked large. The delivery and collection point of the Bag Wash was from the Osmondthorpe Lane frontage. The LICS chimney is still there. I wonder if it is a listed feature.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Was that similar to the one on Meanwood Road? or am i wide of the mark

Lookatleeds

Post by Lookatleeds »

Leodian wrote:
Tue 28 Jul, 2020 11:27 pm
Hi Lookatleeds :).

I don't know when it was built but it is old. Into what must have at least been the early 1950s it was a laundry of Leeds Industrial Cooperative Society (LICS). People used to take in washing (the Bag Wash) which my mum used to do (I think she even worked there for a short while). I don't now recall much of its inside but it looked large. The delivery and collection point of the Bag Wash was from the Osmondthorpe Lane frontage. The LICS chimney is still there. I wonder if it is a listed feature.
Ah that explains what I saw on the ordinance survey maps, because when I had a look on there it simply said 'laundry'. Thanks for the info.
I've struggled to find much about it. I guess I'll have to dig a bit deeper!

As for the mention of Meanwood Road, I'm not quite sure but I'm just after info about the Osmondthorpe building.
Thanks for the replies.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Lookatleeds. Your acknowledgement of my help is appreciated. :)

Your mention of maps has made me look at the Old Maps UK website. The laundry is not there on a 1908 1:2500 map but is there (labelled 'Laundry') with its chimney on a 1921 1:2500 map. That it was there in at least 1921 did surprise me as I would have guessed it looked 1930's in style. There is the same on a 1933 1:2500 map (that now records the nearby St. Phillip's Church) a 1950/51 1:1250 map and a 1952 1:2500 map. On a 1964-1974 1:1250 map the laundry site is now labelled 'Festival House'.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Lookatleeds

Post by Lookatleeds »

Leodian wrote:
Thu 30 Jul, 2020 6:42 pm
Hi Lookatleeds. Your acknowledgement of my help is appreciated. :)

Your mention of maps has made me look at the Old Maps UK website. The laundry is not there on a 1908 1:2500 map but is there (labelled 'Laundry') with its chimney on a 1921 1:2500 map. That it was there in at least 1921 did surprise me as I would have guessed it looked 1930's in style. There is the same on a 1933 1:2500 map (that now records the nearby St. Phillip's Church) a 1950/51 1:1250 map and a 1952 1:2500 map. On a 1964-1974 1:1250 map the laundry site is now labelled 'Festival House'.
Interesting stuff. At least that gives a rough idea of when it was built. As well as going past it every day I can also see the chimney from my house so it's been bugging me for some time now! Thanks again for the info.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

From the Architect & Building News 1912

—For the structural steel and ironwork required in the erection of a laundry in Osmondthorpe Lane, York Road,

SKE

Post by SKE »

My inlaws live across from it. Until recently (last year or two) they would make food hampers there. The owners sold it and I had heard of various plans for it, including houses, a care home etc but not sure what the new owner/s has decided upon. I only recently discovered the company is still going somewhere around Cross Green. I had planned to ask before it was sold if I could go in for a look around and take some photos. Wish I had.