Demolition of the old Tate of Leeds building by New York Road.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Demolition of the old Tate of Leeds building by New York Road.

Post by Leodian »

Demolition of the old Tate of Leeds building by New York Road has been going on for a while and recently became very obvious. The building (which I feel sure used to be the Tate of Leeds motor premises) has looked not to have been in use for very many years. These are 3 photos I took that show the demolition work looks very close to ending. I wonder what will be built at the site?
ViewFromTemplarStreetCarParkLeedsDec032019..jpg
ViewFromTemplarStreetCarParkLeedsDec032019..jpg (138.96 KiB) Viewed 10184 times
ViewFromTemplarStreetCarParkLeedsJan072020..jpg
ViewFromTemplarStreetCarParkLeedsJan072020..jpg (119.14 KiB) Viewed 10184 times
ViewFromTemplarStreetCarParkLeedsFeb042020..jpg
ViewFromTemplarStreetCarParkLeedsFeb042020..jpg (125.38 KiB) Viewed 10184 times
The new looking building on the right in the photos is the Hampton Hotel that has resulted from the very recent renovation of the disused British Gas office building. The views are deceptive in that they are across the Inner Ring Road and do not show that the buildings actually front New York Road that is out of view.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Re: Demolition of the old Tate of Leeds building by New York Road.

Post by Leodian »

These are 2 other photos that show the building undergoing demolition. The first was taken on October 8 2019 from Bridge Street and shows the rear of the building on Trafalgar Street, Leeds (that part of the building had been used as an indoor car park). The second photo was taken on October 23 2019 and shows a view along the Inner Ring Road with New York Road on the left.
RearOfOldTateOfLeedsBuildingBridgeStreetLeedsOct082019..jpg
RearOfOldTateOfLeedsBuildingBridgeStreetLeedsOct082019..jpg (150.36 KiB) Viewed 10181 times
ViewAlongInnerRingRoadLeedsWithNewYorkRoadOnLeftOct232019..jpg
ViewAlongInnerRingRoadLeedsWithNewYorkRoadOnLeftOct232019..jpg (162.84 KiB) Viewed 10181 times
Last edited by Leodian on Mon 10 Feb, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks hicklingmick and Brunel for your inputs :).

In trying to find information about the building I've now found it was called Baker House and I then found this news item dated August 10 2018 in an ‘Insider Media Limited’ website in which it states:-

Plans have been lodged for a new seven-storey self-storage facility in Leeds to replace a structurally unsound building.

Safestore Properties, supported by Deloitte, has submitted an application to Leeds City Council for Baker House.

The existing property is bounded by Trafalgar Street, Bridge Street and New York Road. The six-storey storey building was constructed in the 1920s-30s as a Ford car showroom and servicing garage with planning consent for storage and distribution use granted in 1987. It was closed to the public in January 2018 due to concerns over its structural integrity.

The application proposes the demolition of Baker House and construction of a new seven-storey building comprising more than 95,000 sq ft of floorspace.

A planning statement submitted as part of the application said: "The proposals will deliver a new building that will positively transform the Site, reflecting and complementing the wider pattern of investment and regeneration that has taken place around the Bridge Street area in recent years."

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are 3 photos I took on February 20 2020 showing the demolition work of the old Tate of Leeds building (Baker House) on the Trafalgar Street side. The first and second were taken from Trafalgar Street and the third was taken from Bridge Street with Trafalgar Street off on the right. The third one shows the difference from that taken on October 8 2019 in my post on Feb 5th. The photos are deceptive as current views looking across the Inner Ring Road from the Templar Street car park seem to show the building with the blue sheeting has almost been fully demolished.
OldTateOfLeedsBuildingFromTrafalgarSreetLeedsFeb202020(1)..jpg
OldTateOfLeedsBuildingFromTrafalgarSreetLeedsFeb202020(1)..jpg (159.1 KiB) Viewed 9650 times
OldTateOfLeedsBuildingFromTrafalgarSreetLeedsFeb202020(2)..jpg
OldTateOfLeedsBuildingFromTrafalgarSreetLeedsFeb202020(2)..jpg (112.2 KiB) Viewed 9650 times
BridgeStViewOfOldTateOfLeedsBuildingLeedsTrafalgarStToRightFeb202020..jpg
BridgeStViewOfOldTateOfLeedsBuildingLeedsTrafalgarStToRightFeb202020..jpg (133.19 KiB) Viewed 9650 times

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good morning leodian,
I have a couple of books on old Leeds in good condition which I would like you to have as you seem to post more on this subject than anyone else.
If interested let me know how to contact you ( tried to send private message but didn't work!)
regards
volvojack

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

volvojack wrote:
Tue 03 Mar, 2020 12:28 pm
Good morning leodian,
I have a couple of books on old Leeds in good condition which I would like you to have as you seem to post more on this subject than anyone else.
If interested let me know how to contact you ( tried to send private message but didn't work!)
regards
volvojack
Hi Jack :).
Thank you for your kind offer which is appreciated. I have however lots of books about Leeds or having Leeds related items and I am no longer adding to them. My book collection is rammed to fullness in and on top of bookcases and even having many stored on the floor! I have books ranging from very old to recent. The oldest Leeds books I have are Ralph Thoresby's 1715 'Ducatus Leodienis...' and his '1724 Vicaria Leodiensis...' that is mainly about St. Peter's Church at Leeds (as Leedes in the book) that became known as Leeds Parish Church and now as Leeds Minster (both books are original and not print on demand copies).
Books are good but also are the personal recollections by you and others that add much to the Secret Leeds website and which I hope you will continue adding.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

hicklingmick wrote:
Wed 04 Mar, 2020 2:12 pm
I had been many many times into the workshops of Tates and can never remember it going as far down trafalgar st as these photos show.
Hi hicklingmick :).
Thanks for your interesting post. I started this thread on my belief that the buildings being demolished were the old Tate of Leeds (ToL) but I was not sure of that. Though there are photos of that ToL building in the Leodis website I've not been able to definitely ascertain if it did run down as far along New York Road and Trafalgar Street that I thought though information about Baker House (see my post on Feb 7 2020) may confirm that. I notice however that the information states Baker House was "constructed in the 1920s-30s as a Ford car showroom and servicing garage" so it does not specifically call it ToL, so perhaps not all became the ToL building.
I would be grateful therefore if someone can definitely state which buildings ToL occupied.
Last edited by Leodian on Fri 11 Sep, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeedsGloyt

Post by LeedsGloyt »

Safestore are rebuilding it same as for storage use

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It has been some while since I was in the immediate area so I went on September 10 2020 to have a look. I have attached 3 photos I took that day.
The first is a view from Trafalgar Street looking towards Bridge Street. Part of Trafalgar Street is on the left and part of the New York Road/Inner Ring Road is on the right.
The second is a view from the Trafalgar Street/Bridge Street junction. The New York Road/Inner Ring Road is hidden on the left and a bit of Trafalgar Street is seen on the right.
The third is a view from Bridge Street with New York Road/Inner Ring Road hidden on the left and a bit of Trafalgar Street is seen on the right.
The area seems ripe now for development.
TrafalgarStLeftNewYorkRoadInnerRingRoadRightLeedsSept102020..jpg
TrafalgarStLeftNewYorkRoadInnerRingRoadRightLeedsSept102020..jpg (118.8 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
ViewFromTrafalgarStBridgeStJunctionWithNewYorkRoadInnerRingRoadHiddenLeftTrafalgarStRightLeedsSept102020..jpg
ViewFromTrafalgarStBridgeStJunctionWithNewYorkRoadInnerRingRoadHiddenLeftTrafalgarStRightLeedsSept102020..jpg (125.5 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
ViewFromBridgeStWithTrafalgarStRightNewYorkRoadInnerRingRoadHiddenLeftLeedsSept102020..jpg
ViewFromBridgeStWithTrafalgarStRightNewYorkRoadInnerRingRoadHiddenLeftLeedsSept102020..jpg (134.99 KiB) Viewed 4214 times