Transformation work of The Headrow, Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Transformation work of The Headrow, Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

Work has started on the transformation of The Headrow. These are 2 photos that I took on July 30 2019 showing the removal of some of the central reservation. The first photo shows a view looking up The Headrow from the junction with Vicar Lane and the second is a close-up view of the removal work from the same location. The full transformation is expected to end during 2020.
ViewUpTheHeadrowLeedsFromVicarLaneJunctionJuly302019..jpg
ViewUpTheHeadrowLeedsFromVicarLaneJunctionJuly302019..jpg (172.82 KiB) Viewed 10832 times
WorkOnTHeHeadrowLeedsJuly302019..jpg
WorkOnTHeHeadrowLeedsJuly302019..jpg (209.14 KiB) Viewed 10832 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Re: Transformation work of The Headrow, Leeds.

Post by warringtonrhino »

Will it affect the traffic? I often use the bus from Seacroft to the Local History Library which uses the full length of the Headrow

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I'd keep an eye on https://www.wymetro.com/plan-a-journey/ ... heheadrow/
highlighted here
https://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/all-new ... BF,2MWZ6,1
but I think the answer is your bus home will divert. Given they are pedestrianising New Briggate it is unclear where the diversion will be if they truly mean eastbound.

Albion Street towards Woodhouse Lane and then Merrion Street and down on to Vicar Lane?
Cookridge Street, Gt George Street and Merrion Street?
Calverley Street, Gt George Street and Merrion Street?
Oxford Place, Gt George Street and Merrion Street?

None of the above would be an improvement as Merrion Street to Vicar Lane is a bottleneck.

The only other option is Park Row, Boer Lane and Duncan Street to Vicar Lane.

That is quite a detour to get back to Eastgate?

I'm assuming the plan to pedestrianise Eastgate between the roundabout and Vicar LAne and Vice Versa has now been dropped.

There are also rumours of plans to pedestianise Neville Street from Sovereign Street to Bishopgate Street. As the not infrequent closures due to heavy wind and the recent Extinxtion Rebellion roadblock has proved Great Wilson Street , Meadow Laneand Leeds Bridge can't cope with the extra traffic that causes. And what a snaking route it would provide for traffic exiting Junction 3 of the M621 westbound wanting to get to City Square and points beyond :(
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks tyke bhoy for your help :).

The perhaps major coming change in the immediate area is that the stretch of Vicar Lane from North Street to the junction with The Headrow that is one way into Leeds will will become 2 way. Related to that my understanding is that New Briggate will (I think) be pedestrianised. Currently that gets very clogged up with buses and cars.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I think from the service road down the side of the Grand to Merrion Street won't be pedestrianised but I agree with the rest Leodian, To enale the bit of New Briggate from Headrow to the Grand to be pedestrianised Vicar Lane will be made two way from Eastgate to North Street. That will be the first time since my early childhood it will be 2 way for its entire length.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In regard to the work on The Headrow this link has information relating to alterations to bus routes https://www.wymetro.com/media/4900/publ ... 119-01.pdf

Information that I've seen elsewhere states the disruptions will go on well into 2020.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The work on The Headrow transformation has gathered pace. These are 3 photographs that I took on August 29 2019.
ViewUpTheHeadrowFromNearVicarLaneAug292019..jpg
ViewUpTheHeadrowFromNearVicarLaneAug292019..jpg (174.68 KiB) Viewed 8806 times
ViewUpTheHeadrowFromNearNewBriggateAug292019,.jpg
ViewUpTheHeadrowFromNearNewBriggateAug292019,.jpg (187.87 KiB) Viewed 8806 times
ViewOfTheHeadrowLookingWestFromNearAlbionStreetAug292019..jpg
ViewOfTheHeadrowLookingWestFromNearAlbionStreetAug292019..jpg (157.19 KiB) Viewed 8806 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The transformation work is continuing and traffic is now barred from running eastwards on most of The Headrow. These are 3 photos that I took on September 5 2019.
ViewLookingWestTheHeadrowLeedsBriggateNewBriggateJunctionSept052019..jpg
ViewLookingWestTheHeadrowLeedsBriggateNewBriggateJunctionSept052019..jpg (169.56 KiB) Viewed 8204 times
ViewLookingWestTheHeadrowLeedsSept052019..jpg
ViewLookingWestTheHeadrowLeedsSept052019..jpg (185.57 KiB) Viewed 8204 times
ViewLookingEastTheHeadrowLeedsParkRowCookridgeStJunctionSept052019..jpg
ViewLookingEastTheHeadrowLeedsParkRowCookridgeStJunctionSept052019..jpg (178.39 KiB) Viewed 8204 times

AlbertShoulder

Post by AlbertShoulder »

I wonder if this isn't the reason for declining High Streets sometimes. People don't like going to town when they can't cross a street to get from one shop to another. This happens too much in Leeds and most of the time the public are in the dark as regards the purpose etc.

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

Passing by the works this week, I noticed the footings of the old buildings which have been exposed, on the north side of the carriageway. Does anyone know if there are plans for any archeology at all?