Adel Towers

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Ian of York

Adel Towers

Post by Ian of York »

Evening all,
I am hunting for any photographs or information about Adel Towers.
I remember them as a child and remember them being demolished in 1966/7.
/Ian

warringtonrhino

Re: Adel Towers

Post by warringtonrhino »

THe Leodis website has one photograph with comments by the owners grandson, the gardeners family and someone who knew the building before it was demolished. I have attached a map c1900
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (190.23 KiB) Viewed 17140 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Thu 02 May, 2019 8:56 am
THe Leodis website has one photograph with comments by the owners grandson, the gardeners family and someone who knew the building before it was demolished. I have attached a map c1900
Your a gem.

As chairman and only member of the world famous Leeds brick collectors club I thought I knew all the claypits and there we have another one opposite Adel Towers!!

Oddly though AFAIK brick was not used to construct housing in Adel?

warringtonrhino

Have you seen the Screen 3 Productions facebook page- it's lots of bricks, I can get more details for you, from Andy if you wish.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Thu 02 May, 2019 8:56 am
Tile house and tile lane may be a clue clay tiles were produced at the clay pit?

I don't know what the conduit from Eccup to Headingley waterworks was lined with nor what the second aqueduct (just by where the ring road is now)following the stone aqueduct that remains in Adel woods was built of but it could have included brick from this clay pit?

Fascinating

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Tue 04 Jun, 2019 10:34 pm
Have you seen the Screen 3 Productions facebook page- it's lots of bricks, I can get more details for you, from Andy if you wish.
Do you have a link?

The map is dated and in turn refers to the clay pit as "old" so this fascinates me.

I refer to "Penmorfa" for their super illustrated catalogue of Brick producers!

warringtonrhino

Andy is a professional filmmaker, he made a series of films about people with odd hobbies, one was about a man in Barnsley who hunts for bricks.
He is going to send me some good photographs and the film, if you want to message me your details I will post them to you.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

ImageThe c1893 map is similar, though the smaller scale c1851 map shows no adel towers,and just a tile works . the map may not be large enough scale to record the clay pit.
Attachments
map around where adel towers would be  adel towers c 1851..jpg
map around where adel towers would be adel towers c 1851..jpg (75.32 KiB) Viewed 16452 times
map aroun adel towers c 1893..jpg
map aroun adel towers c 1893..jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 16452 times

Ian of York

Post by Ian of York »

Back in the 1960s, the field below Tile Lane was generally known as "Seven Ponds".

It was the best place to find newts. At the right time of year it was full of clouds of butterflies.
The area was also a dumping ground for soot. There was a huge black mountain of the stuff near where the building is on the 1851 map. The building was just the remains of low walls by then.

In the mid 1970s, the whole area was cleared for the current housing.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi if you look on the Leodis a photographic archive of Leeds and search for Adel Towers there’s a couple of comments from people about this and one from a relative of the man who owned Adel Towers