Seven Arches Aqueduct over Adel Beck, Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
The Parksider

Re: Seven Arches Aqueduct over Adel Beck, Leeds.

Post by The Parksider »

Each time I try to reply (by telling you about a great Flax production site in Horsforth) my replly seems to get blocked - sorry...

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

I've twice written out a reply to you and sadly it's not allowed me to post it making me log in again.

Not sure you will even get this, if you do all I can say is I will try again tommorrow.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chemimike wrote:
Wed 06 May, 2020 11:28 pm
One general source (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cCO ... od&f=false ) states that the term is used in many areas and is shown below

ScreenHunter 1440.jpg
Thanks chemimike for that interesting information :). I had an expectation that Hell Hole might have been where something nasty had once happened!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The Parksider wrote:
Thu 07 May, 2020 12:44 am
Each time I try to reply (by telling you about a great Flax production site in Horsforth) my replly seems to get blocked - sorry...
Hi Parksider :).
Thanks for your efforts in trying to post which I hope you do succeed in doing so as your mention "about a great Flax production site in Horsforth" will be of interest in that old maps show there was a flax mill where Nanny Beck met Adel Beck where a Mill Cottage once stood (now about where Verity's cafe was and the Babbling/Slabbering Baby Spring still is in Alwoodley).
As an aside a few years back I kept trying to post on a website but kept getting it rejected. I kept changing words and it was finally accepted when I dropped 'scrapbook' and I then realised that the overzealous foul language control had not liked part of 'scrapbook'!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are 2 photos that I took on July 17 2020 showing Adel Beck where it comes out after its conduit runs under the Seven Arches Aqueduct. There are 3 rectangular features on this side and the central one has eroded wording stating (in 3 lines) "Leeds Corporation Water Works 1866".
AdelBeckDownstreamSideOfThe7ArchesAqueductJuly172020..jpg
AdelBeckDownstreamSideOfThe7ArchesAqueductJuly172020..jpg (266.4 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
AdelBeckCloseUpDownstreamSideOfThe7ArchesAqueductJuly172020..jpg
AdelBeckCloseUpDownstreamSideOfThe7ArchesAqueductJuly172020..jpg (209.8 KiB) Viewed 1493 times