The elephant on the wall

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jim

Re: The elephant on the wall

Post by jim »

jim wrote:
Steve Jones wrote:it is entitled Winifred ,which happens to have been my Grandmother and Aunties name.The company who did it are from Manchester so I had to wonder if the fact that she appears to be trampling on the white rose is deliberate<G>.
As a Lancastrian, I am now seeing it as a poor Lancastrian elephant depicted fleeing the horrors of Yorkshire hence the broken chains etc<G>.
I, as a Yorkshireman see this as a brute Lancastrian elephant trampling on a poor innoffensive Yorkshire rose of course Steve!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I wonder if they will get him back to paint the bottom 2 roses in red<G>!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The YEP could have fun with this one as well<G>

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Steve for starting this thread as I would likely have not known about the fascinating artwork :).

Knowing I would be nearish the location today (Sept 21 2017) I made a diversion to see the artwork and it was well worth the visit. Shame the parked cherry picker and cars spoilt getting good photos but those I took will do nicely (for now ;) ). As the artwork name has been mentioned in a post this is a photo of the name/painter that is below and right of the work.

P.S. I assume the scenes at the top of the elephant are meant to be views of some buildings in Leeds.
ArtworkNameAndPainterSept212017..jpg
ArtworkNameAndPainterSept212017..jpg (101.05 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Leodian wrote:Thanks Steve for starting this thread as I would likely have not known about the fascinating artwork :).

Knowing I would be nearish the location today (Sept 21 2017) I made a diversion to see the artwork and it was well worth the visit. Shame the parked cherry picker and cars spoilt getting good photos but those I took will do nicely (for now ;) ). As the artwork name has been mentioned in a post this is a photo of the name/painter that is below and right of the work.

P.S. I assume the scenes at the top of the elephant are meant to be views of some buildings in Leeds.
ArtworkNameAndPainterSept212017..jpg
The cherry picker has now gone.this is at the back of the Tribunal building where I work although we didn't pay for it.
The buildings at the top don't resemble any i can identify unless someone else has a better idea of them :?:

Steve Jones

Re: Fred Hartley from Chapeltown writing re Leeds

Post by Steve Jones »

And here is the explanation for it,as we are in Number 31 ,i was wrong about who paid for it although it is our landlord not the MOJ:

A striking image of an elephant portraying Leeds’ cultural heritage has been painted on an office building in the heart of Leeds.

Designed by graffiti artist Russell Meeham, also known as ‘Qubek’, the huge mural has transformed 31 York Place, which was acquired by Property Alliance Group in July. It features on the side of the building that runs alongside the walkway to 33 Park Place, which was also purchased by Alliance in the summer.

The dramatic painting shows an elephant with armour on its face, reflecting the renowned elephant armour, which is on display at the Royal Armouries Museum. It also has a ring of white roses, predominantly around its neck and on the floor, which signify the white rose of Yorkshire, and with a nod to the city’s great industrial past, mills are featured on its back.

Alex Russell, managing director of Alliance said: “We commissioned this unique mural to give the building a new lease of life and create something which is sure to get people talking. It has transformed a plain, uninspiring wall into a stunning piece of art, which celebrates the city’s rich cultural heritage. We’re confident that this will encourage more people to use the walkway and increase footfall in the area.

“The painting is part of our strategy to significantly upgrade both 31 York Place and 33 Park Place. Since acquiring the buildings just over two months ago, we’ve also started an internal refurbishment, which will bring the office accommodation up to a much higher standard for existing tenants and will help secure further lettings.”

Graffiti artist Russell, has named the artwork ‘Winifred’ after his grandma who was born and raised in Leeds and who he says was ‘a strong Yorkshire woman.’

Spanning 64,278 sq ft, 33 Park Place and 31 York Place share a central courtyard area and are situated in the heart of the city’s commercial district. The offices are 76% let to nine tenants, predominantly in the professional services and property sectors, including Mapeley, Allsop and Trillium Property.

The office agents for the scheme are CBRE and JLL.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I was going to ask why such magnificent artwork had been done in an area what i always considered as a "Backwater" but Steve has answered my question. I had already Googled "Qubek" and they have done some wonderful works over there in the Manchester / Oldham area.Well worth a look.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I colleague told me at dinnertime that he had heard the landlord is not happy with the finished product and the artist may be recalled, so literally watch the wall space!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Steve Jones wrote:I colleague told me at dinnertime that he had heard the landlord is not happy with the finished product and the artist may be recalled, so literally watch the wall space!
Perhaps that will be a trunk call from the landlord ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The name and that of the artist have now been removed(see picture above) so it is now the elephant formerly known as Winifred