Cattle Market

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Dicky Dido

Post by Dicky Dido »

Does anyone have pictures of the old cattle market. This was first shown to me by my father in the 50's. My recollection is that it had 4 boundary walls each with a bull's head carved as a stone feature. Dad claimed that two of the heads were carved by one of our ancestors. Any records ???

munki

Post by munki »

Where abouts was this cattle market? Have you tried leodis.net for pictures. Post one up here if you find one!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Dicky Dido

Post by Dicky Dido »

I tried Leodis.net, they had a problem. I have a vague memory that the site may have been in the Water Lane area or near the new Yorkshire Post building

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

The Cattle Market was where Whitehall Road meets Gelderd Road, where the big bonded wine warehouse is now. I used to past it on the 31 bus when I was a kid.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

i remember the cattle market very well between geldard road anfdwhitehall road, i think the outer wall on the whitehall road side is still there.

Klaus

Post by Klaus »

One of the Bulls heads was still on the wall of the old builidng. It was on the wall which faces the car park (the left side of the building if your back is to Geldered Road). It is hard to see as a new extention has been built below it. I remember seeing it about 10 yrs ago when I did some maintanence to the building.There was also a shooting range with a large 'curtain' wall near the top of the car park (near the railway line). I think this was used by an Army barracks which was on Whitehall Road just up from Copley Hill trading estate (on the opposite side of the road). I think the barracks ended up as a hostel for the homeless.