Does anyone know what this carved 'F' means?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: Does anyone know what this carved 'F' means?

Post by Leodian »

Cardiarms wrote:Perhaps there's a B for back on the back.
That resulted in me :lol: a lot Cardiarms :). It could of course also be right and was put on to be sure the block was placed correctly! ;).

Edit added March 4 2016. I looked at the 'F' block on March 3 2016 but being right up against the building the back of the block was not visible so I don't know if it has a 'B' for back on it! :)
Last edited by Leodian on Fri 04 Mar, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In a post of mine on February 27 2016 I mentioned "There is a cut letter on the small wall directly in front of the Art Gallery but I've never photographed that as there always seem to be people sitting there". I photographed that on March 3 2016 but it is two letters (MH) not a single letter. I have now started a thread “Who is/was MH whose initials are marked in Victoria Gardens?" and this is the link to it http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5993
Last edited by Leodian on Fri 04 Mar, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Fire Plug is an interesting possibility.
My money is still on it being a boundary stone. They come in all shapes and sizes but there are plenty which strongly resemble this one. If it were anything else but a boundary stone why would they have cut both the stone and the new stonework to leave it in position rather than move it a few inches?
The F would be the name of the landowner or possibly the estate or large house which occupied the site or in some cases the name of a Parish or Council.
Here are a few examples of similar boundary stones from opposite ends of the country.

[I can't get the last image to display -so click on the url]
http://tinyurl.com/hezl7u2
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

helenroachuk

Post by helenroachuk »

Thank you!