Rutland House

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
paulb500

Rutland House

Post by paulb500 »

Hi I am interested in buildings in Leeds city centre.

Does anyone know any history about a building on Call Lane in Leeds, called Rutland House. It is above what is now Arts Cafe and Call Lane Social?

Someone told me they thought it was an old school?

Thanks

tilly

Re: Rutland House

Post by tilly »

Welcome to Secret Leeds paulb500 I cant help you but i bet someone on here can.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

liits

Post by liits »

“Rutland House” ie the incarnation of the name seems to be quite a modern invention. None of the Trade Directories name the premises as such.
At the beginning of the 20th century, long term tenants seem to have been J E Ingle & Sons, Bookbinders, Proctor Brothers, Wire Workers and C W Barrett & Sons, Provisions Merchants.
I the 40’s Engle’s were replaced by Morris & Jones, Wholesale Grocers and Professor L Marks who ran a “Physical Culture School” – whatever that was, Proctor Bros and Barrett & Sons continued in occupation.
Maybe this is where the notion of the building being a school comes from.
As to the name I would suggest having a closer look at the letters Rutland House, it looks very similar to the font and style that was on GPO buildings, Telephone Exchange, for example.. [not that I am suggesting that it has any connection whatsoever with the GPO].

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

There's nothing in the Pevsner Architectural Guide about this building, unfortunately.
Edit: not under the name of Rutland House.
The older I get, the better I was.

Anthony Levine

Rutland House

Post by Anthony Levine »

While we were scrolling Rutland House on Google we came across a question from this forum from 2016 which we have the answers for because the Gascoigne Property company of which I was one of the directors in the 1980s owned the property which my late father developed and named.
Rutland House on 38-42 Call Lane was so named by my late father after having come across and admired the smallest county in England and decided to give the name to the building.
The building was originally built for the use as a technical college.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thank you for your post, its nice t have an answer from a question posted in 2016 where does the time go all the best to you and your family.Sid.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

DynamiteDaz

Post by DynamiteDaz »

Anthony Levine wrote:
Sat 08 Oct, 2022 1:17 pm
While we were scrolling Rutland House on Google we came across a question from this forum from 2016 which we have the answers for because the Gascoigne Property company of which I was one of the directors in the 1980s owned the property which my late father developed and named.
Rutland House on 38-42 Call Lane was so named by my late father after having come across and admired the smallest county in England and decided to give the name to the building.
The building was originally built for the use as a technical college.
Fascinating. Thanks for coming on and adding the detail in! Great to have more history on these buildings.