Bunkers

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Yes, quite, wsmith!!! Communications is a nice broad umbrella for grouping together mysterious installations!

Yeadon lad

Post by Yeadon lad »

I sent these pictures in they are from the nuclear fallout shelter at Yeadon near the Airport. Got some more if you could explain how i insert them into the message please as new to this. Thanks Yeadon lad x

LittleBigDave

Post by LittleBigDave »

I was just about to make a new thread on air raid shelters until I saw this one. I grew up around Adel and there were two shelters/bunkers that we regularly tried to find ways into as children (probably lucky that we didn't). One was the one pictured and there is also another deeper in the woods. I heard a few tales about 'older boys' who had managed to get in and have all kinds of adventures before they were blocked up. They may have been just that; tales, but the method of entry was similar to the one written about in the YEP article. I always wished I could have got in there... It would have been a brilliant childhood adventure, ableit one that may have left us liable to be prosecuted for trespass and criminal damage.I would love to hear from anyone who actually made it inside though.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

The one 'deeper in the woods' you refer to. Is it the top of the same bunker-or a completley different one?
Attachments
TopofthebunkerSmall.jpg
TopofthebunkerSmall.jpg (32.1 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

riotscar

Post by riotscar »

I distictly remember going into a second world war shelter in Farnley when I was a lad.It was just on the side of the ring road following the route of the Beck that runs there. If memory serves it was built into the embankment which takes you up to West Leeds school.My dad took me in there through a big old stiff steel door. Back then it was used by drug types and not a very nice place to be but I remember seeing a selection of benches and noticing the strong steel walls. Tthe smell was quite terrible so we didn't stick around!In adulthood I've been back but can't seem to find it. Anyone have any ideas what became of it? Or even if you know what I'm talking about!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Here's the air raid shelter at King lane/Nursery lane been built, I dug it out especially for Ro- man. Sorry the quality is a bit ropey. The shelter looks more robust than some i've seen with reinforced concrete been built instead of brick.
Attachments
shelter.jpg
shelter.jpg (10.04 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

Excellent. Thanks for that Phill_D, saves me a trip to Chapel Allerton Library.Here's another interesting bit of trivia about the area where the bunker is / was, which is good but not worthy of its own thread:Directly opposite where the shelter was built now stands Britan's shortest cycle lane. I think it's a whopping 10 feet long. Who'd have thought such a nondescript junction in Alwoodley could hold such history?!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

No worrys Ro-man. In my haste yesterday i called you Geoff by mistake. I've amended that now. A great record indeed-I reckon the York road cycle path could probably equal the King lane one. It could be even shorter. I will have to capture it when i pass & see. It's a pity there's no sign of the shelter anymore. I'm a bit puzzled why it shows up so clearly on Google earth still. It must have only recently been demolished in the last 4yrs or the concrete under the grass makes it grow a different shade visible from arial shots only! I dunno!!

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

Phill_d wrote: A great record indeed-I reckon the York road cycle path could probably equal the King lane one. It could be even shorter. I will have to capture it when i pass & see. I admit this is one bit of cycle lane trivia too far, but I've managed to dig up this information from The Times (dated March 12 2005)"At just 20ft 10in, it is Britain's shortest cycle lane. Workmen took two weeks to create the track on a tiny stretch of the pavement in Alwoodley, Leeds, and lay a red tarmac. The lane is outside a dentist's surgery and local people think it may be a ruse to stop clients parking on the pavement."It's time to get your tape measure out for the York Road cycle path, and see if you can beat that!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I actually walked passed the thing this morning.. On second thoughts 20' seems masssive in comparison to York road. It's a U bend about 10' maybe it comes off the road & goes straight back on again. The curve's that sharp i think you'd fall off. We should get these pictured i reckon... I'm passing again tomorow. I'll take it then :-)