Bunkers

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

Two men arguing over whose is the shortest. You don't hear that very often! I love the bit in the article that says:"Have you seen any bizarre road markings or unusual road schemes? Ring our newsdesk on (0113) 243 2701 ext 1917."I can just imagine the operator of ext 1917 answering the phone. "Hello, you're through to bizarre road markings or unusual road schemes. How can I help"I promise to now get this thread back on track and only talk about bunkers.

brionyalissa

Post by brionyalissa »

Phill_d wrote: A bank owned it geoff (Leeds permanent) i think. They kept there documents there during the war. There's a dumb waiter on the top of the shelter & the door way is lower down in the quarry face. Just a little tid bit, the door is alarmed. Heavily bolted too but since doors are worth a try we gave it a go and it was a bit of a shock.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

It's not the size that matters as they say in this case!!! Thats the trouble with threads they start off well & end up talking allsorts! I bet you were amazed the door was still alarmed. Doesn't it tremble or something Brionyalissa?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

brionyalissa

Post by brionyalissa »

It was a loud alarm (like a car alarm or something). When it went off I bolted lol but it was fine we had a little look around then headed off to the 7 arches.

brionyalissa

Post by brionyalissa »

And does it tremble? Thats pretty cool, it was mourning_belle who tried it so i wouldn't know. I'm not that brave haha.

LittleBigDave

Post by LittleBigDave »

Ha ha.. Me and a few pals set off the alarm of the bunker just off Stairfoot Lane back in about 2001. We were shocked that it was still functioning too. I wonder if there is still anything of interest down there.

brionyalissa

Post by brionyalissa »

Yup that's the one. I bet there is all sorts there but I've been told they are flooded.

Beefish

Post by Beefish »

There is a WW2 bunker in Potternewton Park. It looks like a huge bank of earth but my husband can remember digging a hole into it when he was little and getting told off by a park keeper - they had park keepers then! There's supposed to be one in Chapel Allerton Park as well but no-one seems sure where it was. Beefish

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Oh Beefish you've let the Leeds gentlemans exploration societys secret out of the bag! We were hoping nobody would mention these!!! They have been well forgotten over the years. Yes your correct there & the Chapp A bunker is still intact!! But there is MORE!!! :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

How many people having a kick about on the Chappel A recreation ground know there stood on top of a 100 yard long WWII air raid shelter? I'd like to think there were some old relics hid down there. Gas masks & a 'Careless talk costs lifes' perhaps!!!
Attachments
IMAG5148Small.jpg
IMAG5148Small.jpg (16.14 KiB) Viewed 1952 times