Bunkers

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
harrym1byt

Re:

Post by harrym1byt »

Ro-Man wrote:Basher wrote: As for Eccup resovoir, I did a google earth search and an interesting location came up. Having walked around Eccup reservior hundreds of times, I take it this location is not accessible from the public areas?For what it's worth here's my take on it:1. It's either part of the secure treatment works, which are quite a way from the reservoir itelf. Or the treatment works have been mistaken for something a bit more sinister, as they do have a military look to them.
I helped install some fancy large pumps at Eccup, in the early 1980's - three pump sets, variable speed, vertical, with long drive shafts. They were installed in an old large circular stone building, which went deep underground, not much of it was above ground and it was adjacent to the reservoir. From memory it pumped out of the resevoir to feed Leeds down Otley Road, after treatment.

Gandalfs

Re: Bunkers

Post by Gandalfs »

There is a bizarre rectangular fix, in a field, close to the intersection of Leeds Road and Taylor Lane, close Barwick-in-Elmet. It was a perception post for the Royal Observation Corps.

Leodian

Re: Bunkers

Post by Leodian »

There are several mentions in this thread of the World War 2 bunker in the old quarry near Stairfoot Lane, Adel Woods. I have added 2 images that I took of the bunker just before 11:50 a.m. during the snow on January 14 2021. The graffitied metal access has been locked for many years now but the inside of the structure may still be intact. As pointed out by chameleon in a post in December 29 2009 the structure was however not a bunker but was an underground storage facility. I assume its remoteness when being built would have made building an air raid shelter rather pointless for rapid access by people but fine for storage.
LockedDisusedWorldWar2DocumentsStorageSiteQuarryNearStairfootLaneAdelWoodsJan142021(1)..jpg
LockedDisusedWorldWar2DocumentsStorageSiteQuarryNearStairfootLaneAdelWoodsJan142021(1)..jpg (212.76 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
LockedDisusedWorldWar2DocumentsStorageSiteQuarryNearStairfootLaneAdelWoodsJan142021(2)..jpg
LockedDisusedWorldWar2DocumentsStorageSiteQuarryNearStairfootLaneAdelWoodsJan142021(2)..jpg (186.3 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.