Bunkers

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Don't know about Bunkers in Gipton woods. It has some historical battle camp/Medievel earthworks history i believe if you google it. If you have a look @ the stone boundary wall running alongside Roundhay road as you leave Tesco's & look towards the Oakwood clock you can see a sort of stone shelf with a narrow passage type thing that runs under the road. I wonder what that could be for? I found this article here....... The description and the more thorough research into archives concluded that “an agricultural function, possibly linked to settlement, is the most likely [origin] for the earthworks at Gipton Wood.”
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

iain86

Post by iain86 »

ill have a look for the 'stone shelf' next time im coming home from working at tescos, i think ive noticed things about the wall and parts of it before but never really thought about it to be honest, is that one of the bunkers behind homebase in that picture?

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yes do have a good look @ the wall Ian...The shelf & passage thing are there for a reason. As for the picture...I wont elaborate....You decide :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

iain86

Post by iain86 »

im at work on thursday so on my way home hopefully it will still be light and ill walk up and through the woods and on my way past look at the wall, is it between then road entrance to tescos (basicly between the steps/ginnel opposite the entrance) and the steps into gipton woods?ive a feeling ive seen a picture similar to that one and i dont know where ive seen it, me and a friend or 2 are thinking of looking in the woods and things during the summer for things like or similar to this so if it is behind homebase ill look out for it

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

X marks the spot where to look in the wall
Attachments
__TFMF_1jr2gz555xkdjpnxogkpci55_b4f42d97-f2c3-464e-bcf6-613eb73ae719_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_1jr2gz555xkdjpnxogkpci55_b4f42d97-f2c3-464e-bcf6-613eb73ae719_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 1329 times

iain86

Post by iain86 »

cheers, ill have a look out for it, when i walked down that side of the road going to work on sunday morning i did notice that just above the 'x' theres a really steep dip in the bushes/weeds just over the wall there, thanks ill keep a look out and if i find anything out when im messing around near there ill let you know what i find.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Happy hunting Ian :-)

floodland

Post by floodland »

iain86 wrote: ...tesco (where i work) is haunted due to someone within the old factory dying, from either being crushed or caught in the machinery) wether this is true or not or wether its just rumour i have no clue.iain. sorry to inform you that there are no such thing as ghosts ... re the shelters for the former blackburn factory, are they only in the area highlighted between roundhay road and the car park? will check this out tommorrow morning.

iain86

Post by iain86 »

like i said its only rumour and hearsay that ive heard that its haunted, god knows if it is or not.when i looked at the part marked on the aerial photo on my way to work i know that part of the old stone wall has been rebuilt (next to the lampost) and just below and to the left of that is a steep drop but most, due to it being spring, is covered over with bushes and weeds, so if anyone does go down there becareful as theres loads of stuff down there like old trolleys from tesco and homebase and most likely other things.

stodge.

Post by stodge. »

Hi all, just like to say what a fantastic site this is, this is my first post of many no doubt and its a question about chapel allerton park. Does anyone know about the bunker thats just above the childrens playground ? If you walk up the side of the allotments, as it levels out there's stone entrance sign in the ground. i can't seem to find any info about it though, can anyone else shed any light ?