Bunkers

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Talloulabelle

Post by Talloulabelle »

I was wondering where the bunker is that Yeadon Lad mentioned? It looks pretty hard-core. Also there are some pill boxes around up near the airport - there's cool stuff everywhere!Thanks!

rikj

Post by rikj »

It's in the business park opposite the big warehouses (ex AVRO factory). It was up for sale a couple of years ago.

Talloulabelle

Post by Talloulabelle »

Thanks for that rikj - I'll be off for a nosey later! Wonder if you could buy it and convert it into a house - what a great place to live!

floodland

Post by floodland »

Talloulabelle wrote: I was wondering where the bunker is that Yeadon Lad mentioned? It looks pretty hard-core. check out this link for more info on that:http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/y/yeadon/index.html

iain86

Post by iain86 »

hi, i live near gipton and gledhow woods, from what ive been told from family members and read about and also heard tales about, where the Tescos and Homebase stores on easterly road are used to be an aircraft building factory, wether this was parts for the aircraft (during WWII) or the whole aircraft themselves i dont know, although the site is big enough for that.from what ive heard there are either bunkers situated within gipton woods (over roundhay road) or behind homebase some where within the woods.does anyone know if this is at all true about the bunkers? and also from what i remember from probbable rumours, tesco (where i work) is haunted due to someone within the old factory dying, from either being crushed or caught in the machinery) wether this is true or not or wether its just rumour i have no clue.iain.

Beefish

Post by Beefish »

Hi Iain. There was indeed an aircraft factory on Roundhay Road where Homebase is. On one of my old maps of Leeds it is marked as "works". Apparently Roundhay Road was used as a runway which must have been something to see! THey were small aircraft though. I don't know about any bunkers in the area. People who might know are the Friends of Gipton Wood who seem to be well versed in the history of the area and structures in Gipton Wood - not to be confused with Gledhow Woods which is a different area with a different set of friends!

iain86

Post by iain86 »

hi, yeah from what ive been told it was an old aircraft factory and i know that roundhay road, going up to the old clock cinema (now empire) is pretty long straight and wide so i can understand that i guess, i agree it would have been something to see and really interesting as well.i know that both woods are different but with them being close together i wonderd if what i had heard about the bunkers in either being slightly true if at all. i know that theres a little wooded area behind homebase as i work at tesco anyway and i know that this is just a little way away from the full gledhow woods.thanks for a bit more infoiain.

rikj

Post by rikj »

As with most of these rumours there#s an element of truth in them. Phil d ferreted out a bunker in the woods so the Leeds Gentlemens Exploration Society donned our best top hats and had a look.There's a small shelter made from pre-formed concrete sections that is now earthed over. It seems very small for a factory one, but a bit large for a domestic one. Nearer the factory site in the undergrowth are more concrete sections, which could mean larger shelters were there and have been partly or wholly demolished.There's more info on the aircraft factory in the "Roundhay Park Airfield" thread.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

We did look a treat too! A great morning we had that day. 2 air raid shelters a secret tunnel & a big hearty breakfast before 11. Top notch stuff!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

The 'Fearless feret' shall remain anonymous :-)
Attachments
__TFMF_1jr2gz555xkdjpnxogkpci55_a7b9f7d2-c1f4-4ceb-8598-48f410423456_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_1jr2gz555xkdjpnxogkpci55_a7b9f7d2-c1f4-4ceb-8598-48f410423456_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (35.01 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/