The Infamous Oakwood Toilets

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Brunel

The Infamous Oakwood Toilets

Post by Brunel »

Finally being demolished. To be replaced by a restaurant:

http://www.stoneacreproperties.co.uk/co ... ood#photos

ImageLADIES & GENTS
Last edited by Brunel on Sun 07 Feb, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

francof

Re: The Infamous Oakwood Toilets

Post by francof »

Interesting. Pray tell. Why were they infamous?

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

hiya francof
Shurely your not that naive, as far as i'am a aware public toilets appeared at the same time as trams, for the use of the drivers and the public.But because of a small number of the population , everbody else has to suffer.As the duke of edinbugh said at my age passing a toilet is an opportunity not to be missed.
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

In the late 1970s, while we were still in the 6th form at school, my best friend had a part-time job on a milk round which included the street which runs down to Roundhay Park Lakeside cafe from the Oakwood Clock (Roundhay Avenue?).

Very early one morning, around 4 or 5 AM, he went into that toilet block to use it for its intended purpose and he discovered the body of a murdered man.

That's all I can remember, but I have no doubt that someone on here will be able to provide some more information on this story. The date will have been between 1977 to 1980.
The older I get, the better I was.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Bruno wrote:In the late 1970s, while we were still in the 6th form at school, my best friend had a part-time job on a milk round which included the street which runs down to Roundhay Park Lakeside cafe from the Oakwood Clock (Roundhay Avenue?).

Very early one morning, around 4 or 5 AM, he went into that toilet block to use it for its intended purpose and he discovered the body of a murdered man.

That's all I can remember, but I have no doubt that someone on here will be able to provide some more information on this story. The date will have been between 1977 to 1980.
Could this be it from 1978 ? http://www.leedslocalindex.net/result.a ... wscuttings

There is more info on John Riley the murdered man on Google

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Off the subject of public toilets but does anyone have any more on the man who shot himself in Roundhay park in the late 1940s. my brother was about 16 working in the office at Yorkshire Copper works, Stourton and was one day an older fellow worker knowing my brother was an avid Leeds United fan told him he had tickets for a United game in London and had booked rooms for the two of them.
My brother came home with the news (bearing in mind the world was a much smaller place in those days and a trip to the capitol was very rare) My Mother would not hear of it at all and put the block on him going.
Sometime later this same man shot himself in Roundhay Park. all I remember is that his first name was Steve and there was some talk of him being an Homosexual.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

uncle mick wrote:
Could this be it from 1978 ? http://www.leedslocalindex.net/result.a ... wscuttings

There is more info on John Riley the murdered man on Google[/quote]

Thanks Uncle Mick, I'm sure that will the one.
The older I get, the better I was.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,

Apart from being a regular haunt of men loitering or soliciting for immoral purposes, the toilets were near to where one of Peter Sutcliffe's victims - Irene Richardson was murdered in 1977 :

http://www.weirdisland.co.uk/people/mur ... rdson.html

http://www.execulink.com/~kbrannen/victim09.htm

Ian

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Reduced to its component parts.

ImageBOGS GONE by Isambard Brunel, on Flickr
Last edited by Brunel on Sun 07 Feb, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Your "bogs gone" in the image caption made me :) Brunel. In view of the 'purposes' used at the toilets I could not help think there might have been a BOGOF on offer then ;) (for anyone not knowing, Buy One Get One Free is a common sales tactic at stores).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.