lost loo's of leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
stevief

Post by stevief »

arry awk wrote: Hi Steviefthe one u mentioned by the cenotaph in KirkstallNr Allders' (Now BHS), is the 2nd one on my list above(Corner of Abbey Rd and Bridge Rd)ArryBy the way the ones in the Arcade weren't in the Victoria Quarterbut the next arcade up Briggate. (New County Arcade?)A. Hi arry,Sorry about that!S.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

S'OK Stevie, It's a job to hark back and see ifthe same item has been posted on, I go crosseyedlooking back sometimes! Best to post and be burgered!Someone is Bound to correct you!Had an accident yesterday. (No not toilet orientated!)Drying up some Glasses,one slipped,tried to save it andchopped a nice hole in me little finger! Blood?.Couldn't get on S/Leeds so haven't been able to answermuch on here. OK now as healing up but awkward using the mouse!CheersArry

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Yes SLW, Those above Safeways were very well looked after.We used to climb up the stairs whe we were fitter(!) butthere was a lift, too,if yer legs wouldn't go!Arry Awk

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi Simon!Glad the night duty is over?Re the City Sq. Underground bogs,You're right,the were 'Pay' ladies and gents toilets, with wash basinsattached,(awkward doin yer keks up with a washbasinattached?). The great unwashed had to find a horsetrough! (Cue for a new 'Old Horse trough' thread?).In the Queen's Hotel complex,which included the right hand side entrance to CityStation,there were 'wash and brush up' facilitieseach side of the City Sq entrance with a bath room.That was in the days before that entrance hall and shops wereclosed and the entrance moved to New Station Street. Now all re- opened again.If it's of any interest, I can remember,during a 'Battle of Britain'anniversary week around 1942,there was an Me 109 Messersmitt fighter, (which had forced landed almost intact somewhere over the coast), parked right outside the Gent's in City Square! Everybody coming out of the GPO opposite, ducked incase they got a burst of 20mm cannon fire! There were RAF and WAAF close by collecting for the RAF Benevolent Fund.OK I'll shut up now!Arry

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

arry awk wrote: Hi Simon!Glad the night duty is over?Re the City Sq. Underground bogs,You're right,the were 'Pay' ladies and gents toilets, with wash basinsattached,(awkward doin yer keks up with a washbasinattached?). The great unwashed had to find a horsetrough! (Cue for a new 'Old Horse trough' thread?).In the Queen's Hotel complex,which included the right hand side entrance to CityStation,there were 'wash and brush up' facilitieseach side of the City Sq entrance with a bath room.That was in the days before that entrance hall and shops wereclosed and the entrance moved to New Station Street. Now all re- opened again.If it's of any interest, I can remember,during a 'Battle of Britain'anniversary week around 1942,there was an Me 109 Messersmitt fighter, (which had forced landed almost intact somewhere over the coast), parked right outside the Gent's in City Square! Everybody coming out of the GPO opposite, ducked incase they got a burst of 20mm cannon fire! There were RAF and WAAF close by collecting for the RAF Benevolent Fund.OK I'll shut up now!Arryhey 'arry,do you remember a german plane crashing in that long ginnel on the way to roundhay park,the one thats where oakwood lane crosses arlington road?my gran says the proppeler was fenced off and put on a stick for years.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

farbank

Post by farbank »

Sorry Wiggy, but that plane that crashed behind Towerhurst at Oakwood. Right next to the ' long lane' that led out onto the ginnel, was flown by an English pilot named Fluck.! [And YES I have spelt it correctly.] Your Gran was right that the bits and pieces were there for awhile. And were actually fenced off, with iron railings. But the bits were removed years ago . And I think it was a bi-plane.? But I do recall an article about the very same crash, in what is now 'The John Thorpe ' column in the YEP. The pilots daughter told her story of her father.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

T

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

farbank wrote: Sorry Wiggy, but that plane that crashed behind Towerhurst at Oakwood. Right next to the ' long lane' that led out onto the ginnel, was flown by an English pilot named Fluck.! [And YES I have spelt it correctly.] Your Gran was right that the bits and pieces were there for awhile. And were actually fenced off, with iron railings. But the bits were removed years ago . And I think it was a bi-plane.? But I do recall an article about the very same crash, in what is now 'The John Thorpe ' column in the YEP. The pilots daughter told her story of her father. thats right mate,its been a while,but thats the story.cheers! (sorry jancee-back on track now lass)
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

sorry Wiggy can't remember that Roundhay crash but it looks likegood old Farbank has hit the right answer! Thanks to all!Cheers Arry

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Re.the Roundhay/Oakwood 'prang',Did we establish what type of aircraft it was?If it was WW1 German ,it must have been a Fokkeror Taube biplane fighter? I think the only Gerry Biplanein ww2 was a 'spotter' reconnaissance floatplane carriedby their larger battleships and winched overboard in reasonablycalm seas to take off. I don't think Fritz went in for A/C carriersbut battleships could also have been fitted with a steam catapult to launch the Recce plane (Fiesler,who also made the 'Storch'?).Lot of guesswork there ,I'm afraid! Arry Awk