Found a Photo - Holbeck Workhouse

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
claireblue

Re: Found a Photo - Holbeck Workhouse

Post by claireblue »

Brilliant, thank everyone for the comments. You know Im glad the M621 come along, imagine if that building still existed (and was listed) with so many terrible memories. Do you think that its not a coincidence that there are so few photos of it? That it was almost a reflection that people didnt even want to look at it? That account on Leodis of people reaching out through the locked gate is just terrible.... and in living memory.

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

@tabbykat thanks for all the info and maps.

With regards to the dome. Do you mean what would be in the middle of the main work house building? I suppose we don't know what the building looked like from that side of the Moor, with one photo being taken from the Beeston Road side and the other being an auxiliary building to the main one.

I was imagining the 'dome' shape to be a 2D facade on the front of the building. If you look at the workhouse at St James, it has a design as I describe (will try and paste that below).

But the 'Hillside' building, former school and now a business centre (if memory serves) is a good shout re the shape.

Thanks again for the maps I'm going to print them off and work out the angles a bit more. The actual photograph itself must be taken from way back, could the speech have taken place closer to the site of St Mathews school?
My other though was, is there an angle where the church spire could be seen and the row of houses in the foreground would be Bowness Terrace? (and therefore obscuring Moorville Grove). This is all brilliant stuff though, and really got me thinking, thanks so much :)
SJ workhouse.jpg
SJ workhouse.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Glad to be of service Claire, a very interesting topic you have created.

The dome I'm guessing is the one on the library building on Dewsbury Rd. In the 1930's all that stood between Holbeck moor and the library in that line of sight were rows of 2 up 2 down terrace houses with low rooflines so that dome could well be seen as opposed to today where trees and more modern buildings obscure that line of sight and old photo's when compared to what is there now can be very deceptive.

I'm still convinced that the houses in the foreground are of Moorville Grove, which sadly are now demolished though the Grove remains.

If it was Bowness Terrace some of the houses on Cambrian Terrace would be in shot to the left instead of all the trees and the steeple would have to be on the left of the dome for it to be Beeston school.

Will obviously stand correction if anyone knows different as this is just supposition on my part.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

First hopefully this works
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingSat
I think the above should show that the M621 is unlikely to be the reason or South Lodge's removal. Granted the works would extend beyond the confines of what is now the motorway's footprint but not far enough I think to affect the building. Only a very small part of the nowthwest corner of the grounds appears to have been lost. Lane End Place actually passes under the motorway as a pedestrian underpass. Also the bowling greens survived and they are nearer the motorway.

Secondly I think the row of 6/7 houses on the right of the mounted police photo are Elland Road/Bowness Road. That puts the position of the photographer somewhere near the R, and possibly on Holbeck Moor Road, on TABBYCAT's first line of sight map which would also fit in with the spire being the Congregational Chapel.

Finally I don't think the Dome could be on Beeston Library/Police/Fire Station. It is much too wide for that, especially in the far distance, and would have the taller Spire for St Peter's church almost directly behind. I can only think that it was actually on top of the part of South Lodge behind the front entrance in the opening post. Close up as in that photo the angle would be too tight to see anything only slightly taller and just behind the frontage. Half a mile or so accross the Moor and it might be seen. The Beeston Road side view is again relatively close up and bear in mind there is another "block" between that frontage and the join from the entrance building to that block.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

I'm persuaded that it is indeed Bowness Road.

This would be a rough field of vision I think. As for the dome well yes I keep forgetting that South Lodge was a complex not a single entity so perhaps a decorative façade as per Claire's suggestion. It's a shame that both Moorville Grove and Bowness Road properties are demolished as a more up to date view could had.

Map from side by side map viewer.
Attachments
download.png
download.png (920.43 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Fri 28 May, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

Oooh look what I just found, another similar view but clearer. The photo entitled Holbeck feast, no date,no credits or explanation it was just on pintrest.

I now think its a proper dome. Do you think that means that the workhouse defiantly had a dome on the front of the building? Or does it just throw everything up in the air! I cant quite work out where the workhouse begins and ends and what the perspective is. It could be take years apart from the 1936 Moseley pic though....I lovin this :-)
holbeck feast.jpg
holbeck feast.jpg (127.52 KiB) Viewed 1269 times

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Good find Claire.

Well Shaftsbury house is clearly visible so picture taken 1938,or later, as for the dome I think the original Bewerly St school (not the one on Hunslet Hall Rd renamed as such after the originals demolition) was in that direction did that have a dome?

Neither of these pictures of South lodge show any such dome which is to the right of the tall chimney on your picture so should be to the left of the chimney on my first picture and to the right on my second picture. So is it further in the distance but just looks part of the workhouse?

Tilly you were a pupil at Bewerly St what do you think?

A tentative speculation about the tall chimney furthest right could make it the one that was at or near Henry Moore tailoring factory located near to Ringtons tea factory on lady pit Lane.

Pictures from Leodis map from side by side map viewer.

EDIT

A quick look at an old map reveals that Moores was located at Highfield mills on Lady pit lane behind the Plaza club so a mill chimney?
Attachments
9917765866_e0d811f4e1_z.jpg
9917765866_e0d811f4e1_z.jpg (17.71 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
south lodge.jpg
south lodge.jpg (87.97 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
download.png
download.png (886.88 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Fri 28 May, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Better pictures of South Lodge from Beeston road side full width visible, no dome.
Attachments
GetImage (2).jpg
GetImage (2).jpg (26.82 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
GetImage (1).jpg
GetImage (1).jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
GetImage.jpg
GetImage.jpg (31.7 KiB) Viewed 1246 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Curiouser and curiouser.

The feast photo is taken from a rather elevated position probably too high to even be a big wheel. For that to be the workhouse chimney fairly central the left edge of the photo must be "neat" to Holbeck Moor Road. I think that means the building towards the top right that I think TABBYCAT has identified as Shaftsbury House is, despite the similarity in roof, too far south especially if what appears to be an avenue of trees down the right is separating the Moor from Top Moor Side.

Although the height from which the photo was taken is flattening it I am also surprised at the lack of climb evident beyond the Moor. If that is Top Moor Side then it becomes one of the steepest streets in Leeds. This is the same reason I have doubts the Mosley photo is looking just a bit south of east. Maps show an Engineering works on the far side of Elland Road as it approaches the Top Moor Side/ Cemetery Road junction and this could be in both the Mosley and Feast photos but the former has a chimney the latter not.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

I still maintain that the building is Shaftsbury house, as bad as the picture is even a slight enlargement shows the windows of that building and the steeple of Beeston congregational chapel is also in the right place along with the houses of Cambrians terrace and or Moorville grove. .
Not sure what the phrase "neat" to Holbeck moor means in this case so will have to pass on that and if the view is towards Shaftsbury house as I believe then Top Moor side is way out of shot to the right hence the lack of elevation.

Edit .
(I have removed some comments as they were somewhat petulant and not in the spirit of the thread, my apologies}
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Wed 02 Jun, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.