Found a Photo - Holbeck Workhouse

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
TABBYCAT

Re: Found a Photo - Holbeck Workhouse

Post by TABBYCAT »

In very rough and I mean rough, terms I would say that X marks the spot for St peters but assuming that the spire which I can now see isn't an anomalous mark on what is a very dirty picture then judging by how faded it is St Marys in Hunslet must be in with a shout I'd have thought as the shape is still wrong for St Peters and too far left.
Attachments
holbeck feast (1).jpg
holbeck feast (1).jpg (186.79 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Tue 01 Jun, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

I have had a very quick play with some imaging software which has made South Lodge a little clearer and brought out the distant church a little better so will play tonight with a more sophisticated gubbins I have and see if I can clean it up a little better, don't know why I didn't think of this to begin with DOH!

I also believe I can make out St Peters or something like at the bottom left of the cross I drew on the picture although it could be my eyesight!
Attachments
holbeck feast 2.jpg
holbeck feast 2.jpg (325.2 KiB) Viewed 1400 times

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

A composite of South Lodge from the Beeston Rd side with Moorville Grove to the left and the post office and newsgant on Hunslet hall Rd furthest right.

Without being pedantic about angles etc this is a full shot of the range and unless this side is considerably taller than the other side I cannot fathom where the dome fits in.

You may need to copy to your desktop and magnify for a better look or open in a new tab right click then magnify.
The dome should be to the left of the chimney when referenced to this picture taken from the other side where it is on the right.

Thoughts?
Attachments
holbeck feast.jpg
holbeck feast.jpg (127.52 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (176.8 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Wed 02 Jun, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

I've touched in the parts of South lodge I honestly believe I can see hopefully to give a bit of perspective plus the steeple far left that Tykebhoy mentions which whilst i don't believe is St Peters, which would be behind Shaftsbury House at this angle, I do think Tykebhoys other suggestion of St Marys in Hunslet is a fair shout.
Attachments
holbeck feast4.JPG
holbeck feast4.JPG (213.64 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Thanks TABBYCAT. I don't see how the dome fits in either but bear in mind behind that Beeston Road "frontage" is a middle parallel block connected to the actual front of the complex. Stating the obvious but ground level up from close range obscures anything just beyond and slightly above the roofline. The two Moor side photos showing the dome are from well across the Moor. Also in the Feast photo the dome is sharper than pretty much anything else in the photo. Even Shaftsbury House is disappearing into mist/smog. Given that I think the far side of Beeston Road is the absolute furthest the Dome is from the Moor. The water tanks as far as I can tell were not replacing any substantial buildings so the only logical conclusion to me is it is part of the workhouse complex. It is of course just my opinion.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Do you know Tykebhoy I have to agree because pure logic dictates it cannot be anywhere or anything else!
So yes total agreement on that score. :D

The worst thing about this picture is that everything we do know is still stood upright but anything with doubt has been demolished. :lol:

The water Tanks were on Shaftsbury house land I think judging by the picture with Beeston Rd running right to left.
and without re-checking I think the Leodis description says something to that effect.

Reminder to self.
Find Clair and beat her with a big stick!(only joking Clair)

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Well done Tykebhoy you were spot on re the dome.

I managed to find another of the static water tank pictures taken just outside Shaftsbury House and what do we see in the skyline just inside the red lines I've added?
Just the left of the chimney as it should be (chimney slightly obscured by the tree.)

The Leodis description confirms Beeston Rd.

https://www.leodis.net/ViewImage/ByIndi ... 3_78255862
Attachments
dome.jpg
dome.jpg (62.09 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

:lol: So other than the orientation and therefore the background in the Oswald Mosley photo we have just about cleared the decks in Claire's finds. I think the lack of a dome rules out the workhouse and probable lack of houses above and behind may rule out the Vinegar Brewery. Could it be looking in the Jack Lane or Domestic Street Direction. Are there any shadows? :lol:
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

I think after having another look at the water tank pictures that they more likely sit on the land now occupied by the children's centre.

Red marks the spot.
Attachments
x.jpg
x.jpg (95.27 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Tue 01 Jun, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

The building that''s bugging me in the feast picture is the one furthest right in front of the tall chimney. Taller than the Cambrians, right location give or take for what was called at one point Hillside school but wrong orientation.

BAH!!