Found a Photo - Holbeck Workhouse

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jma

Re: Found a Photo - Holbeck Workhouse

Post by jma »

TABBYCAT wrote:
Fri 28 May, 2021 7:08 pm
Better pictures of South Lodge from Beeston road side full width visible, no dome.
Purely from idle curiosity, I wonder what's going on the the foreground of those pictures. If there had been nothing to indicate the scale, I'd have assumed somebody was lining a new garden pond

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

jma wrote:
Sat 29 May, 2021 1:54 pm
TABBYCAT wrote:
Fri 28 May, 2021 7:08 pm
Better pictures of South Lodge from Beeston road side full width visible, no dome.
Purely from idle curiosity, I wonder what's going on the the foreground of those pictures. If there had been nothing to indicate the scale, I'd have assumed somebody was lining a new garden pond
Hi JMA.

Pictured in1941, they were constructing static water tanks similar to the ones in Cross Flatts park and other parts of Leeds. Designed to supply water if the mains were lost due to bomb damage.

jma

Post by jma »

Thanks for that. So it was a super jumbo-sized pond. Unusual times eighty years ago when there was "a war on."

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

TABBYCAT wrote:
Sat 29 May, 2021 1:01 pm
I still maintain that the building is Shaftsbury house, as bad as the picture is even a slight enlargement shows the windows of that building and the steeple of Beeston congregational chapel is also in the right place along with the houses of Cambrians terrace and or Moorville grove. .
Not sure what the phrase "neat" to Holbeck moor means in this case so will have to pass on that and if the view is towards Shaftsbury house as I believe then Top Moor side is way out of shot to the right hence the lack of elevation referred to so not relevant.
Everything I've postulated so far in good faith seems to be shot down with a general kind of politely couched "I don't think so" without offering much in the way of what it actually is so rather than get into an endless round robin dismissal about what ever I've taken the time and trouble to put together (some comment on the maps and pics supplied would be useful rather than just ignored) I think I'll bow out at this point and leave everyone to it.
Hi, sorry Ive been away for a few days, I really do appreciate your posts. All the replies have have been really interesting, loads ive never thought about.

The pics of the groundworks showing the Workhouse in the background look to confirm there was no dome on the building. Maybe Tilly can fill us in about the school when she reads the thread.

What is Shaftesbury House? I cant find it on a Google search. On the map I was looking at it just said Cambrian Vinegar Brewery, I assumed the large building to the right was that. But I cant see that on the maps I'm looking at now either!

@Tykeboy, Ive never seen that site where you can see the present day image alongside the old. That's quite amazing and something Ive spent ages trying to do by hand - just worked out my street was cut by about 4 houses for the M621!

No idea how they managed to get that height for the Feast photo, I think the big wheel is a really good shout actually. Either that or top of Holbeck Towers :lol: :lol:

Thank you everyone :)

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Tilly has been called many things but never she.
His names Sid by the way, sorry Clair I should have been clearer. :lol:

Are you looking for Shaftsbury house on the side by side site I mention in my posts?

If so ..

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... =ESRIWorld

The big white coloured building on the right hand picture now called Greenhouse I believe..

The car in this picture is parked in front of Shaftsbury house.
Attachments
GetImage.jpg
GetImage.jpg (85.07 KiB) Viewed 1646 times

jma

Post by jma »

What is Shaftesbury House?
Here's what it was. There are several images on leodis but this is the one with most comments. I believe it was built a couple of years after the Battle of Holbeck Moor

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/102883

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

neat- tight/close to. the left edge of the feast photo must be pretty much parallel but just inside Holbeck Moor Road given Lane End Place dog legs slightly right (now under the motorway but back then accross Elland Road) and the Workhouse chimney would only be about 30/40 yards South of Lane End Place.

My last post was on my mobile on which I was unable to zoom the picture. Having now zoomed in I am in agreement with TABBYCAT that it is Shaftsbury House. What I thought was an avenue of trees in front of east/west houses turns out to be the chimneys of the houses and is Cambrian Terrace, beyond the dog leg, not Top Moor Side. The zoom also shows up a line of trees running across the photo. Although some of it may be poetic licence a few of the old maps have tree symbols along the Elland Road side of the Moor. What was initially confusing me was the lack of any visible sign of Elland road meaning I thought the terrace was on the south side of the Moor. They are actually south of the bowling greens. It still begs the question of what is behind Cambrian Terrace and apparently west of Beeston Road. The lack of regular chimneys suggest it isn't houses but it does look closer than the chimney fading into the smog. St Luke's school runs east west on older maps but it looks big for a school?

@ Claireblue re the Cambrian Vinegar Brewery ( this thread is the first time I think I'm ever aware of it). It appears to bring Bowness Road to an abrupt end, is mainly on Cambrian Road and has a small frontage on to Elland Road just short of where the latter reaches Top Moorside. If you choose the OS 25 inch 1892-1914 on the side by side you will see it and the Engineering Works which did front Elland Road
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jma

Post by jma »

The brickworks on Elland Road had a chimney and here's an image from 1974. Unfortunately, the further distance is a bit blurred

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... t=0&sim=11

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Thanks JMA but I don't think it can be the Brickworks in the feast photo. The Terrace to the far right is beyond Elland Road and although very little evidence Elland Road rus from slightly higher on the left of the photo to about 1/5th of the way down the right. It is I believe obscured by the line of trees. I think it must be near the Lady Pit Lane/Malvern Road junction before Beeston Hill becomes steep.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Bit of a stretch as I'm not too clever searching for such things but didn't a former member post a load of RAF aerial pictures of Leeds somewhere on here that could help ? The only Large chimney I can think of in that general direction is the one at Henry Moore's tailoring works on Lady Pit Lane next door to the Ringtons tea factory which I think had a very tall chimney.

Map approx. line of sight though clueless as to the tall build behind the Cambrians.

Also when searching old maps The Malvern Rd/Lady Pit Lane junction will be show as Lady Pit Street not Lane.
Attachments
download.png
download.png (841.52 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Wed 02 Jun, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.