Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
TABBYCAT

Re: Found a Photo - Holbeck Workhouse

Post by TABBYCAT »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Tue 01 Jun, 2021 10:13 pm
TABBYCAT wrote:
Tue 01 Jun, 2021 10:07 pm
I think after having another look at the water tank pictures that they more likely on the land now occupied by the childrens centre.

Red marks the spot.
That was my impression when you first posted them, especially as you had dated Shaftsbury House as pre-war. What I did find strange was the lack of building on that triangle
Apparently just recreation ground bottom right corner.

Map courtesy of buffalo skinner.
Attachments
Workhouse 1932.JPG
Workhouse 1932.JPG (323.55 KiB) Viewed 1747 times

jma

Post by jma »

I think the apparent differences in Highfield Mills is connected with the scale of the mapping; the smaller scale of the second map has resulted in the label being in the nearest bit of white space.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Thanks jma I think you've hit the nail firmly on the head.

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

Wow yeah, that photo proves the dome was on the building nearest the moor. Suppose by the maps it was two buildings side by side, so no wonder it could only be seen at a certain angle.
This has been such a fascinating thread, I had a drive over to Cambrian Terrace this afternoon, it feels strange now knowing so much about it.
Unfortunately it looks like the RAF flyover didn't cover Holbeck, it went East End Park over Quarry Hill and out past Headingley.
Oh well, I have a feeling we will dig up some more photos one day.
Really appreciate everyone's help. Thank you

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

An interesting write up about the old Cambrian Vinegar Brewery in South Leeds Life from Ken Burton. What a coincidence! :D
https://southleedslife.com/a-vinegar-br ... land-road/

jma

Post by jma »

The world is full of coincidences. I see that South Leeds Life is regulated by Impress. This was established with the support of the recently deceased Max Mosley, son of Oswald pictured on Holbeck Moor above.

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

jma wrote:
Sun 06 Jun, 2021 6:35 pm
The world is full of coincidences. I see that South Leeds Life is regulated by Impress. This was established with the support of the recently deceased Max Mosley, son of Oswald pictured on Holbeck Moor above.
He he, its spooky, as Tykeboy pointed out, Mosley Jr died day after my initial post!