Found a Photo - Holbeck Workhouse

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jma

Re: Found a Photo - Holbeck Workhouse

Post by jma »

As I've said, my recollections are mainly from a relatively short period between 1967 and 1972. Any mention of Lane End Place brings back memories of the transport café there where, we often went for tasty sandwiches on early turn. We used to go in the kitchen to collect them and the hygiene was so good you could have eaten your breakfast off the floor.

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

TABBYCAT wrote:
Sun 30 May, 2021 11:29 pm
Tilly has been called many things but never she.
His names Sid by the way, sorry Clair I should have been clearer. :lol:

Are you looking for Shaftsbury house on the side by side site I mention in my posts?

If so ..

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... =ESRIWorld

The big white coloured building on the right hand picture now called Greenhouse I believe..

The car in this picture is parked in front of Shaftsbury house.
TABBYCAT wrote:
Sun 30 May, 2021 11:29 pm
Tilly has been called many things but never she.
His names Sid by the way, sorry Clair I should have been clearer. :lol:

Are you looking for Shaftsbury house on the side by side site I mention in my posts?

If so ..

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... =ESRIWorld

The big white coloured building on the right hand picture now called Greenhouse I believe..

The car in this picture is parked in front of Shaftsbury house.
Ah! I have a friend called Tilly who is a woman, that's why I thought that! Ooops :-) Sorry Tilly!

Of course, yeah the Greenhouse building, I never knew it was built to accommodate homeless people, a kind of more ethical replacement to the workhouse I suppose. I can see now how it fills in the gap between the building from behind. The RAF aerial photos would be really interesting to see. I will have a good search this evening and post back if I find anything.

The perspective of both pictures is confusing, you think at first its got to be the convergence of Elland Road with Top Moor Side because of the angle of Bowness Road with the Workhouse. The Cambrian Vinegar Brewery, again, has very few photos. Made me laugh that when I tried again to search for it just now this thread came up near the top of the search!

All I can find is a sketch that I imagine was used as marketing, so I'm not sure we can go on it as being an accurate image of the chimney etc.
Ive put the Leodis pic below.

And my last point, apologies, I feel i'm exhausting the subject some what . In the second photo, where you can see Mosely stood facing the crowds (drowning out his speech every time he tried to talk!) There are trees, or certainly a tree, behind him. As Tykeboy said before maybe the map makers weren't too accurate with that sort of thing. I'm wondering if the angle might be closer to Top Moor Side, his back to the old school? With enough space for a football pitch (you can see two goals) between him and Elland Road in the horses photo. Of course the photographer may have been stood in a different spot for each photo. But by all accounts the crowds were so huge that you could hardly move.

The view is so wide and distance though that its near impossible to pinpoint exactly. Still great to know what its looking at, ive learnt loads over the last few days. Really appreciate everyone's help, thank you :D
Attachments
Cambrian Vinigar Brewery.jpg
Cambrian Vinigar Brewery.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
2nd pic Mosley.jpg
2nd pic Mosley.jpg (31.77 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Claieblue while slightly off the topic of the thread I don't think you are exhausting the subject. Secret Leeds hasn't had an investigation on this scale in donkeys....

JMA thanks again. I think TABBYCAT had already speculated that was the chimney but I think your line of sight being pretty much bang on the right side of the Feast photo proves it. The origin/source of the line is further West though either at the back or even beyond the Moor. So the left side divergent line would run just inside Moor Road and just North of Hunslet Hall Road. I think that makes the spire visible on the skyline towards the left St. Peters. Hunslet Parish Church would be a similar direction but the added mile and smog probably rule its visibility out.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Claireblue I think the marketeers had more poetic license than the cartographers. Although later maps have the Engineering works attached to the brewery it was never anything like a square quadrangle that I can see.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingSat
The houses on the Mosley picture could be the Elland Road side of Bowness Road beyond the gap taking Cambrian Street onto Elland Road but..........

Edit to add ... but if that is the Vinagar Brewery Oswald Mosley should have Cemetery Road on the far side of him and there is little evidence of the hill
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Shaftsbury House was a hostel at the end of Colville Terrace, between Beeston Road and Moorville Place (which became Brett Gardens). It was a 5 storey brick building 1938-1998. As a child I lit a small grass fire in the grounds, which got out of control, it may have been what got me interested in becoming a fireman

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Carry on Clair carry on. :D

Like Tykebhoy says a long time since such a treasure hunt and gives an old duffer like me summat to do of an afternoon, and the historians here a field day exploring wise.

Not convinced that the spire is St Peters as it cuts off the right part of Shaftsbury House's short diagonal roofline which would put St Peters in front of Shaftsbury House not behind A zoom in I believe confirms this. Also even with a poor picture the adornments and features of its spire would be apparent as per the picture below, even at this distance it would break the smooth symmetry of the steeple and the shape seems wrong unlike the smooth shaped Beeston chapel picture.

Camera shots like this I have found can be very deceptive. Many moons ago There was a picture of the "where was this" type on the site and although correctly identified I was fairly certain as to where the photographer stood until someone pointed out things about angles and zoom etc. The upshot being that it was taken at least a 30 yards from where I first thought.
Attachments
GetImage (1).jpg
GetImage (1).jpg (85.07 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
GetImage.jpg
GetImage.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
holbeck feast.jpg
holbeck feast.jpg (13.54 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Tue 01 Jun, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Another shot of St Peters, although not showing the adornments I thought it would, shows the shape to be wrong for it to be what is seen from Holbeck Moor, The Holbeck picture is showing a tall steeple yet the much closer Dewsbury Rd picture shows no length to the upper steeple at all and although it is taken much closer is faded whilst the steeple in the Holbeck picture is sharper, darker, even more than Shaftsbury house's roof, so therefore closer making Beeston Chapel a better candidate I would have thought.

Another line of sight for consideration.

Circle = Beeston Chapel with Shaftsbury House opposite.

St Peters = triangle.

Henry Moore's chimney = star.

Yellow lines = various lines of sight just inside Moor Rd and running just north of Hunslet Hall Rd has St Peters to the left of Shaftsbury House.

I cannot see any angle that puts St Peters to the right of Shaftsbury House, rather more behind it I think.
Attachments
download (2).png
download (2).png (876.02 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
GetImage (2).jpg
GetImage (2).jpg (44.07 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Wed 02 Jun, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

@TABBYCAT Agreed the spire on the right and in front of Shaftsbury House is the congregational chapel, the spire I was referring to in this instance is very faint and to the left of a cluster of 3 chimney's on the workhouse roof. themselves to the left of the "industrial" chimney in the complex. Given the sharpness of the dome compared to other items I am becoming more convinced it must have been on the mid section connecting the front and back of the workhouse

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

A picture of Highfield Mills chimney taken from Dewsbury Rd in front of Dewsbury Rd conservative club 1979.

The grassed area is part of the old Arthur Greenwood playground with Ringtons Tea factory top right of shot next to the chimney.

The shape and height do seem right.
Attachments
holbeck feast (1).jpg
holbeck feast (1).jpg (127.52 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
GetImage (3).jpg
GetImage (3).jpg (22.15 KiB) Viewed 1400 times

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Hells teeth Tykebhoy you've got sharp eyes!! :shock:

I can barely make it out, will have a shufty.