Saint Andrews Chambers

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Having walked passed it very often it was not until today (Jan 15 2014) that I really noticed the impressive doorway to Saint Andrews Chambers at numbers 21&22 Park Row (near The Headrow end). This photo shows the doorway and some features at it. It was not easy to photograph as I had to stand on Park Row and quickly take the photo before I might have got knocked down! I shall post a photo next showing a closer-in view of the 4 face carvings/mouldings and other features that can be seen.PS. The building numbering system on Park Row is unusual in that there is not the normal even numbers on one side and odd ones on the other.
Attachments
011R.jpg
011R.jpg (113.46 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is the closer-in photo (taken Jan 15 2014) that shows better the 4 nice face carvings/mouldings and some other features at the doorway to Saint Andrews Chambers.
Attachments
010R.jpg
010R.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 2235 times

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Thanks Leodian - it's especially good to see the detailed close-up as I doubt many people who pass (me included) bother to look up inside the porch.This is what is written about the building in my Pevsner Architectural Guide to Leeds (published 2005):"...St Andrews Chambers, 1869 by George Corson for the Scottish Widows' Fund. Porch supported by four monolithic Peterhead granite pillars resting on blue-grey Aberdeen granite; Yorkshire sandstones carved with Scottish emblems on the first floor, revealed after recent cleaning."The entry doesn't mention the faces, but the building is listed so there is more information on the English Heritage website (but still nothing about the faces!):http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk ... linDespite the link appearing to be incomplete, it works!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers for that great help Tasa, which is appreciated.