Fox and grapes yard in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Minnie909

Re:

Post by Minnie909 »

Johnbessy wrote:Was not a knocking shop as far as I know I going back to 1929 children lived there family called Taylor I f anyone knows off them I would like to here about it one off the children was born in that house in August 1929 . The father was George Taylor and mother Hannah Taylor is a bit off a mystery
Edit by moderator I think Minnie909 is trying to draw attention to viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6784

Minnie909

Re: Fox and grapes yard in Leeds

Post by Minnie909 »

Keen to get in touch with Johnbessy who is wanting to know more about the Taylor family around 1929..

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Minnie909 wrote:Keen to get in touch with Johnbessy who is wanting to know more about the Taylor family around 1929..
He (?) hasn't loggedd in to the site as that username for around 6 years. It is possible he is visiting as a guest and/or lost the login details in an upgrade of the site around that time and has since re-registered under a different name. I think the site upgrade also broke existing subscription to thread too so he is unlikely to be notified of updates. I hope you do get a response but it is far from guranteed.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Johnbessy

Post by Johnbessy »

Hi not been on for ages but have seen that minnie909 has posted that they may have information about the Taylor family from 1929 if they see this I would be greatfull if they can provide any thing that connects them to this family or their wearabouts I do have some information but would like to know anything that would help me find out what happened to them and the children I just hope Minnie 909 sees this post as it was 2 and a half years since it was put on but only just seen it I will visit this sight more to see if I get a reply

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Johnbessy wrote:
Mon 25 Oct, 2021 1:42 pm
Hi not been on for ages but have seen that minnie909 has posted that they may have information about the Taylor family from 1929 if they see this I would be greatfull if they can provide any thing that connects them to this family or their wearabouts I do have some information but would like to know anything that would help me find out what happened to them and the children I just hope Minnie 909 sees this post as it was 2 and a half years since it was put on but only just seen it I will visit this sight more to see if I get a reply
You do keep missing each other ;) . Minnie hasn't logged in in those 2 and a half years. I have sent a PM which may alert her/him that you have responded assuming the email address registered is still used.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

rachelwilson

Post by rachelwilson »

My ancestor Edmund Wilson Berry was running a Temperance Hotel, 13-15 Fox and Grapes Yard in 1880. Have any photos been found of the yard?

rachelwilson

Post by rachelwilson »

Sorry, should read as 15,16 Fox and Grapes yard run as a Temperance Hotel in 1880 prop.Edmund Wilson Berry, serving visiting cloth manufacturers.

lacceber

Post by lacceber »

rachelwilson wrote:
Wed 11 Jan, 2023 6:42 pm
My ancestor Edmund Wilson Berry was running a Temperance Hotel, 13-15 Fox and Grapes Yard in 1880. Have any photos been found of the yard?
I'm sorry I can't answer the original question about the Taylor family at Fox & Grapes Yard in 1929 but I'd like to respond to rachelwilson's post and might be able to clarify some of the other points raised. My GG Grandparents, John and Eizabeth Hughes, had lodging houses in Fox & Grapes Yard from 1878. John died there in 1899 and then Elizabeth managed the lodgings (as apartments) until her death in 1906. According to the censuses they moved into no. 12 first, gradually adding nos. 9 and 13-16. John and Elizabeth lived at no. 9 with their ten children. The trade directories only show nos. 12,13 and 14 as the lodging houses with nos. 15 & 16 being the Temperance Hotel run by Edmund William Berry. The lodging houses certainly weren't brothels. They served itinerant workers and sometimes their families stayed with them. My Grandma remembered visiting often and seeing how all the men were made to polish and line up their boots in the hallway each evening. It's interesting to me that Edmund W. Berry lived in Fox & Grapes Yard for almost exactly the same timespan as my family and I wonder if there was some connection. He moved there from Holbeck circa 1881 and ran the Temperance Hotel until his death in 1907. His first wife's maiden name was Eliza Hughes.